• Register Today It's free!

5.0 V8 come without AWD?

fastcougar

Reaction score
City, State
Kearnysville, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
02' Mountaineer - V8 AWD
I have been looking for a 4 dr with a V8 to replace my 2 dr Sport V6 OHV. I cam across a few, but one in particular caught my eye since it said it was 2WD. I thought that all the 5.0L V8's came with AWD. Is this not the case?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats kinda wierd cause i saw an add in the paper today for a V8 4x2 explorer and i thought it was wrong

Hokie said:
I'd love to have a 2wd V8 Ex...

I'd really love to have a 2wd V8 Sport with a T-5... someday

Why? It only has 5 more Hp then the SOHC and besides, once the new stangs come out...Say hello too Upgades galore! :chug:

4x2 4 door v8 explorers were available

no v8 was ever offered in a sport 2 door though

all other v8s in 4 door explorers were all wheel drive or 2/RWD

good to see another hokie on the board! :chug:

ha, i would love to have a 4x4 ex...right now we have a 2x4 96 eddie 5.0 ex...plenty of power, great tranny, but you know how it can get around blacksburg in the winter!

fastcougar said:
I thought that all the 5.0L V8's came with AWD. Is this not the case?

'96 Explorer Limited 5.0 2WD

8799bathed_lmtd-med.jpg

"Why? It only has 5 more Hp then the SOHC and besides, once the new stangs come out...Say hello too Upgades galore!"

Hello, 5.0 upgrades are already all over the place, and cheap! :D

I dont care what anyone says ... you may get a v6 to keep up with a v8 but it will never sound like a v8.

99explorer5.0 said:
I dont care what anyone says ... you may get a v6 to keep up with a v8 but it will never sound like a v8.

Ok there you have a point! ;)

tankhokie said:
good to see another hokie on the board! :chug:

ha, i would love to have a 4x4 ex...right now we have a 2x4 96 eddie 5.0 ex...plenty of power, great tranny, but you know how it can get around blacksburg in the winter!

Wanna swap? I'll be in the burg in a week ;)

Stic-o.. yeah, its only 5 hp difference, but who uses hp in a truck anyway? Torque baby, thats the crucial number. My SOHC has to wind way up to hit the torqure curve compared to my dad's '98 5.0 Mounty. The mounty is rated at 288 ft-lbs, 50 more than my Sport and there is sooo much of it right at idle. Then the burble of his 302 through the MAC intake and the Gibson exhaust... drool...

And Jim, yes, there were no V8 Sports made ~ even more of a reason why I want one. I think a 2wd V8 sport with a manual tranny would be one bad summagun to drop, put on 18's, and build to handle. The engine swap could be easily done, you would just have to fabricate a new transmission crossmember.

Stic-o said:
Why? It only has 5 more Hp then the SOHC and besides, once the new stangs come out...Say hello too Upgades galore! :chug:

Because a 5.0 can easily make 360HP with the stock intake and better heads and 330 with the stock heads and intake.

The SOHC will not do it. And yes they do have 2WD 5.0's I have one, my brothers girlfriend has one and I have a friend whos wife has one as well.

I wanted the V-8 also until I drove the SHOC, the 8 rides to harsh and it didn't feel that it was as quick as the 6 as silly as that sounds.

Hokie said:
I'd love to have a 2wd V8 Ex...

I'd really love to have a 2wd V8 Sport with a T-5... someday
Same here... someday. :) I ain't going back to V-6 that's for sure!

Back