• Register Today It's free!

5.0 V8 swap then 4X4 conversion

j.denison

Reaction score
City, State
Austin, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Ford Explorer 4.0
So here is the dilemma I'm in. I currently own a 98 4.0 SOHC with AWD/4x4. I recently discovered the engine is going bad and it just so happens I know someone selling a 96 with the 5.0 v8, but its 2wd. I plan on swapping the v8 and tranny out of the 96 into my 98. I know that in doing this i will essentially be going from 4x4 to 2wd, but I dont want to lose my 4x4. What are my options as far as getting 4x4 after the swap? So far this is what I have come up with.

1) put in a 4406 and get the needed front/rear drive shafts
2) Find a junkyard/wrecked 4x4 V8 and use the transfer case and drive shafts out of it.

Which do you guys think will work, and also possibly be a little cheaper?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you will have more problems then figuring out how to make it a 4x4 by swapping in a 96 driveline into your 98. that and the only way you can use that trans is by gutting it, and using the tail shaft and housing from a 4x4

Yup, I will be doing the same thing as the 2nd part of your project, going from a 5.0 2WD to 4WD. You will either need to rebuild the 2WD trans or use an AWD trans from the beginning, before you can install the transfer case. There are threads on here detailing the conversion/installation very well, including explaining exactly which driveshafts from other vehicles will work.

If you swap a 96-97 driveline into a 98-01, you're gonna have a bad time.

Look for a wrecked AWD 98-01 5.0 donor and go from there.

If you swap a 96-97 driveline into a 98-01, you're gonna have a bad time.

Look for a wrecked AWD 98-01 5.0 donor and go from there.

Why do you say that? The reason I'm using the 96 is because a friend owns it and it only has 87k miles on it, and it is very conveniently priced.

Why do you say that? The reason I'm using the 96 is because a friend owns it and it only has 87k miles on it, and it is very conveniently priced.

A lot of small things changed and having the same group years will make your swap go a ton easier with everything from parts to wiring.

You are going to spend a ton of time and money swapping parts, moving things around, etc than if you just found a much similar donor. Unless you can just get the stuff for basically free, it wouldn't be worth it if you can in fact find a similar donor.

Finding a 98-01 AWD 5.0 donor will be worth the extra money almost every time in this case just in the time, labor, and parts saved.

EDIT: I did now see where you talked about the miles and price. What is the price if you don't mind me asking? That will help give a better idea if the juice is worth the squeeze as they say.

EDIT: I did now see where you talked about the miles and price. What is the price if you don't mind me asking? That will help give a better idea if the juice is worth the squeeze as they say.

The price is only 1800 and the mechanic Im having help me ( who is very experienced with engine swaps and custom engine work) quoted me with an install of $500-$1000. Thats basically all i have as im a college student. The other factor is if it'll work, I've already got 1grand in new suspension and another in new rims and tires

If anyone could explain to me any troubles I might face and also what it takes to overcome those problems that would be great. If it isn't gonna work and my mechanic and I are gonna have trouble doing the swap I'd like to know before I go by a donor thats useless. And im actually going to look at the donor this weekend. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Back