5.0 Water pump bolts tip | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0 Water pump bolts tip

WncLee

Reaction score
City, State
Mars Hill,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 2000 Ex 5.0 & found out about the PITA 2 bolts that get stuck that run through the timing cover.When I went to get the bolts out the one at the ps pump side the head snapped off & didn't want to have to cut/drill my timing cover & add something else to buy. I took off my alternator & ps pump brackets to get access to the cover.Took a torch to the timing cover to heat up where the bolt runs through it & the bolt came right out,don't heat the bolt up just the timing cover. Irwin makes some sockets for removing damaged/broken bolts & their smaller kit fits the broken bolts,hammered the 8mm one onto the broken bolt & heated up the timing cover & it came right out. If you heat up the bolt it will expand & still be stuck,heating the timing cover will give more room for the bolt & also take care of the corrosion, it will start to spit smoke out of the hole like crazy. Hopefully this will help someone else out, never had such troubles on a simple water pump job & not have broken bolts with the simple timing cover heat trick.

Back