5.0 Water pump bolts tip | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership! If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

5.0 Water pump bolts tip

WncLee

Reaction score
City, State
Mars Hill,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have a 2000 Ex 5.0 & found out about the PITA 2 bolts that get stuck that run through the timing cover.When I went to get the bolts out the one at the ps pump side the head snapped off & didn't want to have to cut/drill my timing cover & add something else to buy. I took off my alternator & ps pump brackets to get access to the cover.Took a torch to the timing cover to heat up where the bolt runs through it & the bolt came right out,don't heat the bolt up just the timing cover. Irwin makes some sockets for removing damaged/broken bolts & their smaller kit fits the broken bolts,hammered the 8mm one onto the broken bolt & heated up the timing cover & it came right out. If you heat up the bolt it will expand & still be stuck,heating the timing cover will give more room for the bolt & also take care of the corrosion, it will start to spit smoke out of the hole like crazy. Hopefully this will help someone else out, never had such troubles on a simple water pump job & not have broken bolts with the simple timing cover heat trick.