• Register Today It's free!

5.0l belt replacement

myeddiebauer

Reaction score
City, State
clackamas,oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS AWD
search entire forum for a video on serpentine belt replacement ??? 5.0l v-8 awd help please,have looked on utube

don't have a video, but this is how i do it.

1. start by drawing a picture of the exsisting belt's routing. there may, or may not, be a decal of this on your radiator core support. crank shaft, tensioner, alternator, idler, power steering and a/c pulleys.
2. working from the top, remove the black rubber air tube between the air filter box and throttle body (unplug the MAF sensor and remove the vacuum hose first).
3. take a bungee cord and pull the radiator hose up and out of the way (i hook it to the a/c accumulator plumbing).
4. put a 15mm socket on a ratchet, place the socket on the bolt in the center of the tensioner pulley and twist it clockwise to take the tension off the belt.
5. remove the old belt and check for smooth operation (and lack of any play) in the tensioner and idler pulley bearings (replace as necessary).
6. install the new belt being sure to get it aligned and seated in all the pulleys. i like to use little metal clothes-pin style spring clamps to hold the belt in place while threading it around the pulleys. run it under the ldler pulley last.
7. release the radiator hose and reinstall the intake tube, MAF plug and vacuum hose.

you're done. shouldn't take you more than about 15 mins. i find working from the top much easier than trying to work from underneath. the hardest part is working the new belt over/around the fan.

Buy (or rent) a serpentine tool wrench, put it on the tensioner and push against the spring to relieve the tension. Remove the belt. To install, follow the diagram on the emissions sticker (affixed to the radiator support). With the proper tool it's a five-minute job.

search entire forum for a video on serpentine belt replacement ??? 5.0l v-8 awd help please,have looked on utube

thanks guys, that was excellent info got her done,wasnt that hard after your advice.
you guys rock

Back