5.0L front seal - looking for part | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0L front seal - looking for part

rizzjc

Scubajoe - Radio Mod
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Garner, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2019 F150
Callsign
N1LVN
I have a slightly leaking front seal on my '97 5.0L, and since I wanted to replace the accessory belt anyway (10 years old), and a pulley froze up a couple days ago, I figured I'd hit all of this at once.

I've got the belt already (Motorcraft), and am just going to pick up the idler and tensioner at the auto parts store. However, I can't find the seal. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing, but I don't see anything that looks like it. I guess I could drop by Ford, but I imagine that's a waste of money.

Anybody ever have to do this, and been able to find it locally?

Thanks,
-Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I replaced mine when I installed my camshaft, you will need a puller for the crank balancer:

I got mine from Ford, it was cheap cheap but I cant imagine others not having it, although the Explorer oil pan/timing cover/ and front dress are unique to the Ex, not a common 5.0L part I dont think....

install1.jpg

install2.jpg

install3.jpg

Cool thanks. It *is* just called the front seal, right? And please tell me that I don't have to go as far as picture #3!!!! ;) Nice Torque Monsters, BTW. Hoping to do that sometime.

Oh, and from my repair manual, I don't have to take out anything to get in there. Does anyone know if the puller will fit in there with the fan/radiator in place? I was hoping to just get a loaner puller from Advance Auto. How does it go back on? Hammer, or do I need to be more gentle?

yes yes and yes
you will have to go that far
I dont think the puller will fit and it would be a real PITA to replace this seal with the rad in place.

Crap! Well, I guess it's the pulleys and the belt this weekend, and the rest will have to wait until the leak gets worse. :) I know I read the procedure in the Ford manual. Didn't look like a big deal. Oh well. Something else to put on the list.

well you may be able to do it like the manual says, I was a bit spoiled not having any sheet metal in front of the engine.

Are you 100% + ist coming from the timing cover front pump seal?
How many miles do you have (might consider a new timing set if you are going in that far)
It could be the oil filter mount, or the oil pan itself leaking?

I'm going to assume anything but the pan. I'm pretty sure it is the seal. It's a small leak at the moment. I just thought I'd be able to do it fairly easily. I'm just gonna take care of the pulleys tomorrow so I can drive it again, and I'll look closer, and review the factory procedure some more and see when I want to tackle it. If it's the oil pan then I might as well go find a rebuilt engine if I'm gonna go through the trouble of taking it out - assuming I'm even up for that kind of job (which I'm not).

I'd like the do the CAI, exhaust, and torque monsters, but not until I know that I'm not going to have a major overhaul coming after that. I want to get a camper, and be able to take it to the mountains, but right now it can't do it.

Well, I'm in there now, and I think you are right 410. Definitely would be tough with the radiator in the way. Might be possible, but might not be worth fighting with. In any case, as for the leak, still not too bad, so it can wait. It's *possible* that it is from the oil pan gasket, but it's in the same place as the rear leak was, when the guy thought it was that, but it was the rear seal. Easier to replace the front seal and see what happens than to replace the oil pan gasket. But that's for another day.

So, long story short, my radiator sprung a leak, opening up an opportunity to take care of this front seal. Radiator is out, and I managed to get it out without removing the fan, which might not be great, considering now I have to work around the fan to pull off the pulley.

Picked up a strap wrench, and sprayed the bolt with some liquid wrench. Won't budge. Any great pointers before I rip apart my knuckles, and tear out the A/C and tranny lines?

I'll probably have to get some tools so I can pull the fan out. Will probably make it a bit easier, but I'm still not sure that strap will hold while I crank in it. I'm also making the assumption that the bolt DOES loosen COUNTERCLOCKWISE, like a person would expect.

pointer: remove the fan before going any further.

Which bolt wont budge?
You can borrow the fan removal tool for free (leave deposit) or you can buy one, there are a few types, Napa auto has my favorite style fan tool for about $25

these are not reverse rotation, you are correct the hub on the fan clutch is regular thread

Yeah, I know that'll make it easier. I just didn't have what I needed to do it last night. A friend did it, and bought the tools, but he can't find anything at his place. Since I didn't get it done last night, as I had hoped, I'm no longer in a major rush, so I'll get that fan off before I do anything else.

I have a cheap plastic strap wrench I picked up at harbor freight. I'm thinking that with the torque I need to get the bolt off, I'll snap the thing, and something will fly. Wondering if I should just go pick up a metal strap wrench instead .... or just pull until I snap this one.

If the bolt is seized try PB Blaster, I have personally never had any better luck with liquid wrench than I have with WD40. but PB Blaster broke apart 50 year old plumbing in my house in 15 minutes, we tried WD40 and a 4 foot pipe on the pipe wrench to no avail.

PB Blaster rocks in my book, if you can look over the stench from it.

David

Don't get the fan removal wrench from Auto Zone. It's never the right one and I keep going back for some reason. :confused:

If the bolt is seized try PB Blaster, I have personally never had any better luck with liquid wrench than I have with WD40. but PB Blaster broke apart 50 year old plumbing in my house in 15 minutes, we tried WD40 and a 4 foot pipe on the pipe wrench to no avail.

PB Blaster rocks in my book, if you can look over the stench from it.

David

Yeah, it was PB. I just said liquid wrench, like kleenex, instead of tissues. ;) It's been soaking for a few days now, so hopefully once I get the tools and get the fan off, it'll be easier.

Figures. Advanced Auto only has one fan clutch set, and of course, it's th wrong one. Gonna have to look for a Napa with a loaner.:mad:

Seems that would still require the proper tool, no?

13mm wrench I believe
there are 4 bolts--
leave the belt on, this will hold the pulley from turning as you loosen bolts-then remove the belt to actually remove the bolts and pulley.

remember to re-tighten them with some tension on the belt---

I'll look at that. Anybody else have any experience using this method? Was gonna check for the proper tool today, at a Napa or somewhere. Apparently the one I need is about $100, so I'd rather not buy it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, removing the pulley didn't work, as the belt can't even come close to holding it hard enough. I could move the wrench with 2 fingers. So, off to look for the tool. Tried to get a loaner from Autozone. They only had the same one I bought. Tried Pepboys, and they only had for purchase the same one I already have. Tried sticking some other stuff in there, but it's gotta be skinny, and strong.

I'm about to give up and just put my radiator back in and be done with it. :(

Back