5.0L swap with Manual T5 and AWD ???'s | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0L swap with Manual T5 and AWD ???'s

98exp

Reaction score
City, State
va
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 2dr Sport
Hi, I'm collecting parts for a V8 conversion in my 98 4.0 Manual. So far I have a HO 5.0 mustang motor, V8 explorer motor mounts, accessory brackets, and stock expo5.0 exaust manifolds.

I also have an 89 Cobra Computer/harness and a T-5 Manual Tranny.

My questions are:

1) Can I use an X's 5.0 AWD t-case with a T-5 Tranny? or any other manual Tranny?

2) Does the AWD system have a seperate Computer to control it or does it not need computer control?? Will I have to use a explorer AWD engine computer to use the AWD case? I would obviously rather use the cobra computer if possible.

3) If I have to use the AWD explorer's engine computer to work the AWD will that computer work with the HO Motor (has distributor, unlike the DIS ignition systems on the X's 5.0 blocks)

Thanks! anyone here have a Manual tranny awd?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the AWD system in the 5.0 Xs are toatly mechanical. no computers at all. as far as the truck knows it does not have a t-case.

the other stuff i'm not real sure about. sorry i cant help more.

You'll need to install/have installed a new output shaft (from Advance Adapters) for your T5, since the AWD requires a t-case and Mustangs were obviously never 4x4 or AWD. Are you going for street or offroad?

bmxking5 said:
You'll need to install/have installed a new output shaft (from Advance Adapters) for your T5, since the AWD requires a t-case and Mustangs were obviously never 4x4 or AWD. Are you going for street or offroad?

thanks for the info, I'm going for street only. Is the AWD unit in the X's any good?

Will it move the hole for the manual shifter location back even farther by adding the AWD case in?

The AWD in the Explorers is pretty good from what I've heard. The motor, tranny combo is said to be "bullet proof" since it's such a nice strong setup. :thumbsup:

The shifter shouldn't be moved at all because the changes would be made to the rear of the transmission.

Shifter is not effected.

The AWD t case is good, but not bulletproof.
The earlier years (96-97) seem to be problemmatic, but it could just be high miles.

The explorer manifolds are going to restrict the power you can make withthat HO.

Are you worried about emissions?

You will also need a Explorer 5.0L oil pan and pickup tube (PM me if you want one, I have a two I am not using)

I would personally use a GT-40 Explorer 5.0L in your truck, would make the wap much easier, but you already have the HO so....the GT-40 makes more power stock and fits in your truck like stock.

Why downgrade to OBD-I(EEC IV)? You're already wired up for OBD-II And plopping an Expo V8 in there.

410Fortune said:
The explorer manifolds are going to restrict the power you can make with that HO.

Are you worried about emissions?

You will also need a Explorer 5.0L oil pan and pickup tube (PM me if you want one, I have a two I am not using)

I would personally use a GT-40 Explorer 5.0L in your truck, would make the wap much easier, but you already have the HO so....the GT-40 makes more power stock and fits in your truck like stock.

I got the X manifolds with the accessory brackets I bought from a local junkyard super cheap. I am not worried about emmisions at all, I am definatly interested in some aftermarket X headers.. I've heard mustang headers are to long or wide, and the Ranger V8 conversion headers are way too expensive..

I may just get that pan and tube off ya.

I already had the HO motor and T5 for a while. The motor is a full roller, I was not sure if the X v8's are rollers or not. I've heard that it's easier to make insane power from the older block than it is from the DIS ignition systems on the new ones...

thanks!

IAmTodd said:
Why downgrade to OBD-I(EEC IV)? You're already wired up for OBD-II And plopping an Expo V8 in there.

I've heard that the 88-89 mustang/cobra computers are the most aggressive programming of all the years.. I got it for $50 so no worries if I gotta get something else instead. The motor will think it's a mustang not a truck was the idea, always heard it'll be much faster that way.

I guess though if I get it dynoed/tuned it wouldn't matter which ecu I had because it would get reprogrammed anyway it needed, correct?

So If I was set on using a mustang or cobra ecu, would a 94-95 w/ 5.0 be a better choice and compatible with the trucks wiring since it'd be OBD-II??

Thanks for the help!!!

Eventually I'm looking in the 400-500hp range if possible. Which shouldn't be a problem with a built bottom end a supercharger and the right set of outrageously priced heads with a Dyno tune. Has 500hp been done around here with the X ECU and the DIS ignition system.

ok a couple things, a there were no cobras in 89, only 93, and if you did have a cobra computer you have to have different injecots and a mass air, the good computers for GTs are A9L codes. also you cant use a manual computer on an auto but you can use an auto computer on anything

i would rather go with an exp[lorer harness and computer that way everything on your truck will plug right in including the computer and everything else will be in the factory sopt and DIS is not a limiter, it actually helps esop when your doing custom tuning.

i havent heard of anyone doing the t5 with a t case, your shifter will have to be moved back, probibly to around the front of the seat, and you will have to rig up the clutch some how because 5.0 t 5s used hydrualic clutches and no exploreres or rangers used cable clutches.

but if your in NOVA or somewherer close id take the t5 off your hands i want to try to swap it in to my 2wd truck.( ive been working on the clutch part for a few weeks)

Xzibit A said:
i havent heard of anyone doing the t5 with a t case
Look up Chief34(?). He swapped it into his Explorer. If you find it, you won't be able to miss it...D30 SAS under a 91 with 38s and 16" lift, 5.0/T5/1354.

sweet im gonna go find it so i can figure out the clutch issues. thanks

'96 and newer are the only OBD-II ones. So '95 would be OBD-I. Tuning would have to be done with a chip on the older ones, a flasher could be used on the newer(simpler I think, and more effective).

But its all in what you got. I just think its going to be hard working backwards.

again the GT-40P 5.0L is one of the best 5.0's to come from Ford, your HO engine can be built to make power for sure, but the GT-40p can also and was fit in YOUR TRUCK.
This means Explorer GT-40p = bolt in conversion, computer, wiring, PATS, everything. The HO is actually MORE WORK.

98exp said:
I've heard that the 88-89 mustang/cobra computers are the most aggressive programming of all the years..
88 was speed density, so you don't want that. 89-93 had the a9l computer. The 94-95 ones had less aggressive programming.

thanks for the replies guys...

To respond to a couple above posts:

Xzibit A:

I was told the computer was from a cobra when I bought it, I'll have to get the number off of it, so maybe you guys can let me know what it really is/isn't..

James Duff makes a Hydraulic-to-mechnical clutch adapter they sell for a 5.0/t5 to Ranger conversion...

IAmTodd & 410Fortune:

I'm all for a easier swap, Selling the HO motor shouldn't be a problem if I need to. I have not been able to find any gt40p explorers with an explorer ecu making 4-500hp. I'm not doubting it at all, I just can't find any specs/examples to learn from.. But there are a million mustang examples to read about...

I would love to just do a complete X v8 install with stock parts from the firewall forward and then upgrade the motor in the following months then get it tuned... But it's also not a daily driver, I hardley ever use it and I don't care about how it takes or how much work it takes to complete the conversion.

1999blacksport

From what I had found researching through google was that late in the 88 model year some of the stangs were MAF but most were Speed Density.

jtsmith

I've got the Accessories and Brackets, but I didn't know about the water pump and timing cover, thanks. By swaping water pumps does it make the neck face the right direction towards the radiator? Is that the reason it is needed?

----

Anyone?!

When I go to upgrade the motor, What mustang parts DO NOT fit onto a gt40p..

Thanks for all the help....

You will gain the needed space with the timing cover and water pump. They are shorter to line up with accesory drives. a Mustang's water pump is longer( towards radiator)

I believe the only MAF Mustangs in '88 were CA cars. They didn't go MAF on the rest 'til '89. I think that's right- I had an '89 and it was MAF- but I don't remember if it was a CA car or not. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just to let you know this will NOT!! be a straight forward swap. I installed a Cobra 5.0 and computer from a 94' stang into my 94' F150 4x4 and it wasnt as easy as i thought it was going to be, even though I was swapping a 5.0 for a 5.0. The wiring is the biggest issue and I believe that you will run into some of the same issues I did with the f150. I ended up having to make my own wiring harness because the harness and computer for the cobra wasnt compatable with the stock harness in the f150 and I still ended up with issues mostly with ignition problems (miss firing injectors and plugs mostly) it almost acted like the motor knew it didnt belong in the truck. I did get it to run after a weekend of screwing around and chasing problems and it has been running strong ever since. Since the swap i have add a vortech supercharger , cold air kit, 70mm throttle body, 50lb/hr injectors, headers, 3 1/2" exhaust and it is now a stump pulling 485hp to the rear tires!! I have the only truck in town that will lay rubber with all 4 tires on dry pavement!! And this is with 35's and stock gears! If you need any help e-mail me and i will try to help where i can. Good Luck!

P.S. Before going ballistic with huge power you may want to find out how much that AWD transfer case can handle. You dont want to dump alot of money into doing this swap and explode the case the first time you hammer on it!

Back