5.0L V8 AWD ... Noisy Front Diff??? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0L V8 AWD ... Noisy Front Diff???

All v8 gen2 explorers are Awd from the factory.
Info shouldn't be that hard to find.

Have you pulled your front drive shaft and gone for a drive? Make sure you use your parking brake when stopped. I'd be interested to know if the whine Is still there.

As for the noise turning in one direction, have you looked your cv joints? One side might be failing.

Maybe if you check rockauto's on- line catalog,first selecting your make, model, and year you can look up your cv joints under 'drivetrain'.

I'm not sure what else totally you. I'm no mechanic, that's for sure.

I also have a 2000 AWD Explorer with low speed noise to the right front wheel. Also had a bad left rear axle and bearing has been replace and CV shaft has been replace hub assemble been replace they was gonna changing the fluid in the transfer case I don't think it will help it either noise still there.

But after doing some more research on my own. I hate learning new stuff at 62 years old and disabled. I have over $400.00 in parts not counting labor so if its not fix come Monday July 28-14 I'll cut my losses and bring it home and work on it myself.

Now for 1995 to 2000 Explores there is a GEN. Electric Module that controls a lot of stuff even the transfer case and I do believe there a recall on them as well. The module is behind the radio in the cab. You also have to have a certain code reader to pull the bad codes off of it. Also if you ever smell like something has burn in your explore it could be the module from what I have read and I have smelled like something has burn before as well:salute:. That will be the next thing I will change if they don't find the fix also gonna tell them about what I have found out they always do me right I figured I give them my business but my billfold is broken being on Social security but I also need a ride so I can take my wife to the doctor as well being she on 02. So I'll set my bike up for now to hold her o2 bottle till I fix this explorer or shoot it LOL Hope you all find the fix for your explorer.:roll::roll:

My 1998 5.0 xlt had the same whine noise.. I changed the transfer case fluid with full synthetic valvolien transfer case fluid.. and the noise went away.. my 5.0 explorer has 200k miles..

I have the same problem on my 99 AWD Mounty. I've raised this same question here several monthes ago. Didn't really get any good answers yet. I think it is the transfer case. But I'm not sure. I've changed fluids in transfer case, and front diff. Didn't help noise. Front diff you either have to break seals and let drain, or pump old fluid out.
Some say it is normal. Others say it shouldn't be making noise. I have a hard time believing that as many Ford AWD's that are out there, it is normal. This low pitched whine is really an irritating noise.
Haven't figured out a way to isolate it yet either, to front diff, or transfer case.
Be interested to see what response you get.

Harold

Now for 1995 to 2000 Explores there is a GEN. Electric Module that controls a lot of stuff even the transfer case and I do believe there a recall on them as well. The module is behind the radio in the cab. You also have to have a certain code reader to pull the bad codes off of it. Also if you ever smell like something has burn in your explore it could be the module from what I have read and I have smelled like something has burn before as well:
Just for reference the GEM module has nothing to do with the transfer case, or AWD function on the V8s. The AWD system is entirely mechanical.

Back