5.0L with a 5-speed transmission & lowered suspension. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.0L with a 5-speed transmission & lowered suspension.

kerdeh

Reaction score
City, State
loveland, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford explorer sport
Howdy guys! Long time no see! I'm hoping I could get some opinions on a build I'm thinking about starting.
My goal is to swap out the 4.0 for a 5.0 in a truck that is already equipped with a 5-speed transmission. Past that I would like to get pretty crazy with the engine upgrades. What I'm really pondering is if it would be worthwhile for me to swap out the 4.0, or if it would be better to convert to a manual transmission and keep the 302 Windsor.

I haven't purchased a vehicle yet, but where I'm from there are tons of explorers on Craigslist.
I wouldn't be opposed to doing this with a 1st gen explorer, I just figure the technology would be better if I went with the 2nd gen.

It might seem silly that I want to put all this work into modifying an explorer when there's probably a vehicle out there that has all the qualities in working for, but my first car I actually owned was a 1993 explorer sport and I LOVED It. Unfortunately when it broke down I didn't have the means to fix it (I was 20 and just beginning to learn how to be a responsible adult haha)

Here's a summary of what I'm trying to accomplish:

2nd gen explorer sport (2 door) rear wheel drive (none of that 4x4 malarkey)

5.0 Windsor engine
5-speed trans
Lowered suspension (not to the ground, I just want a stiffer suspension more suited for rough roads rather than mountain trails)

I won't really be towing anything with this vehicle, I just want a small suv to haul band equipment, and something nice to drive around town that gets up and goes when I want it to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

click on my registry. i have pretty much done everything you want to do with the exception of the 5spd (was going to do it, but when i looked at the gearing of a 5spd, the rpms would be higher at highway speeds). that and i am still 4wd, but have a 4406, so i can still run in 2wd

click on my registry. i have pretty much done everything you want to do with the exception of the 5spd (was going to do it, but when i looked at the gearing of a 5spd, the rpms would be higher at highway speeds). that and i am still 4wd, but have a 4406, so i can still run in 2wd

Nice buddy! it gives me some confidence knowing someone else has tried this.

As far as the manual transmission goes, I am planning on putting in some kind of performance transmission, so the stock transmission will just be used until it gets worn out or I get impatient and upgrade it.

you might.... MIGHT be able to use a mustang trans. just remember, you will need a programer to remove the auto trans out of the computer.

Well I was thinking it would make more sense to find an explorer that already has a manual trans. Can you see any potential problems doing it that way?

BTW, your explorer is BAD dude!! I'm in love that thing. Good job buddy, it's gret inspiration.

i dont think 5L trucks came with a manual trans, only 4L trucks. and in the 2nd gens, they were rare
and thanks.

Yeah I've found a good amount of 2nd gen ex sports with the manual trans. It's probably because I'm in the foothills of northern Colorado, people in noco love little SUVs. I'm gonna be shopping around, doing some research, once I get my hands on one I'll post up pictures and info about the vehicle. I'm really excited to get started on this. What I really need to figure out is if I can plop a 5.0 in there and be able to hook it up with the, or a, manual trans.

Yeah at this point I'm debating over using a 1st gen or 2nd gen. I still have lots of research to do in order to figure out which engines/transmissions are going to be compatible with the 1st or 2nd gen.
Really the only thing I can decide on is the 5.0 windsor.

I'll be sure to update this thread when I start shopping for my new hotness towards the end of this month.

After I find one I want to keep, I'll post pictures and give a rundown of the condition it's in.

Back