5.4 and 4.6 Spark Plug Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.4 and 4.6 Spark Plug Issues

X6StringerX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
I've read about these issues before, but I can't remember what years were affected and what changes were made to correct the issues.

Both the 4.6 and the 5.4 experienced issues with blowing out spark plugs due to lack of threads. If I'm not mistaken, the 5.4 also had an issue at a later date with the spark plug protruding too far into the head and breaking when being removed due to carbon build up.

If any of you guys can fill in the gaps for me, that would be great. I'm currently shopping around for a vehicle and I've found some good deals on Aviators, Navigators, and newer Explorers. I just want to avoid as many known problems as I can.

EDIT: Crap, I just realized that I posted this in the wrong section.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone? :D

5.4 triton engines isn't it? 2004 and newer? Google it.

Googling was the first thing I tried, but all I found was people complaining about the issue with their vehicles. I have yet to find at what point the issues were remedied. I believe the Aviators are on the safe list because they had the 32v 4.6 that was used in the Cobras. I've run across the blow out issue on 5.4s all the way up until 2005. I haven't seen any for 2006 yet. If I remember correctly, the 4.6 that was used in the Mustang suffered from the issue from 1999-2002, but I'm not sure if the 4.6 in the Explorer of 2002+ used the affected heads. I have also found a few complaints on 2003 Navigators and maybe one 2004, but I can't seem to find the 2004 complaint again, so I'm not sure on that one.

the special tool to remove the broken plug is for 3 valve triton engines. I would still buy one, I would ask that the seller have the plugs changed to the new design as a stipulation of the sale.

Back