• Register Today It's free!

5.4swap questions

Lenosd

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer xlt
I have a 2000 explorer xlt that I want to do a 5.4 2v swap in I have an extra 5.4 with trans and everything needed to run it I just want to know if this has ever been done before? If so can I get a little help and information on this subject please and thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah…. I don’t have any experience in this matter but if I had to guess, you’d probably want to pull the front clip, cut the frame under the drivers seatish area, and build a new front frame section that’s significantly wider, I’d say probably need to add 6” of width minimum.

is your explorer 4wd/awd?

The 4.6 has been done into the 98-11 Ranger many times
The 2v 5.4 is a bit taller then the 4.6

Most triton swaps into this generation of truck = no heat and no ac because the mod engines are HUGE
Seriously that 5.4L T is larger then an old Ford 460 or a 6.8L V10

Most triton swaps into this generation of truck = no heat and no ac because the mod engines are HUGE
2wd

I’m ok with all that and I want I make it 4wd I also do have modified expedition with the 5.4 I just think it would be cool as hell to have that drive train in the smaller body of my explore

IMHO the old smallblock stuffed in there is already very tight.

Just for clarification, I think he (The OP) is referring to a 5.4 2V, not a triton. The "Triton" engine is the newer 5.4 with 3 valve per cylinder hence the name "Triton". Having said that, the 5.4 (either one) is not only taller than the 4.6 but wider as well. The topic of a 5.4 swap was discussed ad nauseum on the TCCoA forum.

Of course anything is possible if you want to throw enough time and money at it, but you just have to decide if its worth all that time and money. If all you want is more power you could sell off all the 5.4 parts and build up the 5.0. As we know, the little Windsor 5.0 has a lot of potential in its own right. If you want to use the 5.4 because you just have to be unique and different, well by all means go for it. We'll all sit here on the sidelines cheering you on.

All 5.4s are Triton but that's beyond the point. I tried this and let me tell you it will not work in a 2nd gen explorer. It's about a foot wider than the 302. I actually am putting one in a 2wd coil sprung ranger (frame rails are 4" wider) and am about half way done.

and no 4x4, right @boominXplorer?
I would think trying to make one 4wd would require removal of the frame and build a whole new front section as suggested above by @Explodemylifepls

As I understood it all the 4.6, 5.4 and 6.8 engines were released under the triton name after 96 when the 4.6 went into the stang and the last of the pushrods were gone after 2000, triton simply meant their family of modular engines

Oh yeah I wouldn't consider 4x4 unless using a different frame which I am considering. The 06+ sport trac frame is what I want to put under the ranger now. That way the steering rack and frame mounts are set up for a modular motor. I'm considering going aluminum 4.6 instead of 5.4 because of weight as my build will be something I'll play with at the track. I've got both options along with a procharger here, just waiting on a good deal on a frame.

I stand corrected on the issue of "triton". LoL Thanks for edicating me. :)

I have a 2000 explorer xlt that I want to do a 5.4 2v swap in I have an extra 5.4 with trans and everything needed to run it I just want to know if this has ever been done before? If so can I get a little help and information on this subject please and thank you
The Coyote 5.0 with 5 speed manual has been swapped into the 2007-2010 chassis and it has more power than the 5.4 2v. The Coyote 5.0 is a huge engine, so if it can be done, the 5.4 should be no problem.

The Coyote 5.0 with 5 speed manual has been swapped into the 2007-2010 chassis and it has more power than the 5.4 2v. The Coyote 5.0 is a huge engine, so if it can be done, the 5.4 should be no problem.
And that chassis was already made to fit the 4.6 mod engine unlike the 2000 Explorer the OP is asking about.

Back