5.5 inch superlift for 92 explorer sport 4x4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.5 inch superlift for 92 explorer sport 4x4

Hey I have a question on the superlift 5.5 inch suspension kit , First of all let me say that I am new to the 4x4 scene, and also I just learned to use a computer so please bear with me . I am going to put a 5.5inch lift on my truck , But I need to know exactly what I will have to do to put 33x12.50 15 M/T tires on it, also I am using Mickey Thompson II rims . My qustion is what else am I going to need to make this project run smoothly so that I won't run into problems run into problems in the future. {bumpsteer, driveshafts falling out and so on etc. etc. any words of wisdom would be deeply appreciated! Last note I will be in Iraq for a few more months but hope to start this project when I return, I hope that $2500.00 should cover the price of every thing .

Thank You
Spc Roland Bray

Hey Roland, let me first welcome you to the boards and thank you for your service to this country, i'll be heading your way in a couple of weeks myself.

One thing i would recommend is gears. If you are going with 33s then 4.10 gears should do you fine. Is this truck going to see off road? If so then gears is a must. Plus it will help with all around performance on road. I don't know if you driveshafts will need to be lengthened or not, i'm not really familar with the lifts for the 1st gen explorers.

92 explorer 5.5inch superlift suspension lift kit

Josh thanks for the info, it is greatly appreciated and I will take it to heart! To answer your Q: yes I hope to do alot of off-roading but I still need my truck to take me back and forth to work. By the way nice truck:D ! So coming to Iraq huh? All I can say is that it really sucks here, and definitly watch your back! With all the good we've done for this country, there are still alot of bad people here who really hate americans!

Be safe and God Bless
Roland Bray

I have the 5.5-inch superlift suspension lift on my Sport X. You should have room to clear the 33x12.5s Mine hit on the sway bar at full lock of the steering, just barely and it is a common problem. You want a 15x8 inch wheel with 3.75-inch backspacing (I think that is 12 mm offset). You will need extended brake lines. You may want to replace your radius arm bushings when the lift is installed. It is a little cheaper to regear when lifting, but that can wait if you are pressed tor cash, depending on your current gear ratio. I also strongly recommend a steering stabilizer. You will need and alienment following the lift installation. You may want to check ball joints and tie-rod ends to make sure they are OK. There are some other things like speedometer correction and lengthen the E-brake cable. These things are all on this site if you use the search. Good luck.

I agree with unclemeat. You may want to install a 1 or 2 inch body lift also if your going to be off roading. Don't forget extended brake lines, they don't ussually come with the kit.

I had my rear drive shaft lenghtened about 1 1/2 inches when I had it rebalanced and new u-joints install. It's not very exspensive, cost me about $120.00, well worth it.

As far gears go, get either 4:10 or 4:56's. I'm using 4:10's and have no complaints with the 33's. I think 4:10 are great if you do a lot of highway driving, but if yopur going to be 4 wheeling more then get the 4:56's for more grunt.

Good luck and keep your head down.

PS: Thanks for protecting our country and rights.

Back