5.5" superlift rear or springover? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.5" superlift rear or springover?

Exploderman

Reaction score
Several months ago thought I saw a post on springover conversions re-using the stock shock mounts. I believe they were reversed and turned upside down, along with moving the spring mounts. Tried a search but couldn't find the topic. Anybody remember it?
Other alternative is to use the Superlift 5.5" read kit. Would appreciate any comments from anyone using the Superlift 5.5" kit, about installation, how it's worked out, etc.

I've already installed a Tuff Country 4" lift. I'm really happy with the front, not so happy with the rear. The rear was done with an add-a-lift, which has made the rear suspension too stiff, plus it was only a 3" lift (according to Tuff Country). I want to do the springover or Superlift conversion to regain use of the stock spring package plus regain the more aggressive stance of a slightly higher lift in the rear.

------------------
'94 Sport,4" lift,31x
10.50's, 3.73,chipped,K&N
cold air intake,Flowmas-
ter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Another good thing about the 5.5 superlift (or other spring over conversion) is the fact that the axle mounts move to the top of the axle for added off-road clearance. I wouldn't do it any other way, but I geuss if you don't go off-road it wouldn't bother you.

I don't have the lift so I can't tell you about the install or the ride, but I'm sure somebody else can.

------------------
If everybody is different, how can anyone be normal?

91 Explorer XLT
4.0L OHV V6

I did the 5.5 Superlift SOA about 8 years ago on my '91 and could'nt be happier. A spring pad with tabs? (for lack of a better word) slide into the existing spring pad from the top side and the u-bolts hold it all together. The bracket also has shock mounts on it. The factory u-bolt plate is retained. I maintained a smooth factory ride. Good luck

Ron:

Any problems since you did the conversion?

Would you say the engineering of the kit was well thought out and executed?

Thanks for the info!

Chad,

Sounds like a good setup. Can you provide pictures?

Back