5.8 swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5.8 swap

Because of the emission laws in Ontario Canada I can't drop a beefed-up 5.0 into my '97 Explorer 'cause it will be E-tested as a stock '97 5.0 Explorer, but if I put a 5.8 in it, since they where never availible with one from the factory, it will classed as a "Hot Rod" therefore tested to 1980 standards and only requiring Cats no other emmision control B/S. And in my opinion nothing sounds better than a carborated V8 with a lumpy roller-cam, headers and MagnaFlows (accept maybe a big block with the same stuff) Plus mine is now going to be just for weekend cruisin' and showing off.
:burnout:
So my question is, can anybody tell me if the 5.8 will drop right in with the use of parts off of a 5.0 Explorer (oil pan, motor mounts, rad etc.)? Being that 5.8 & the 5.0 are the same block, the only differance is that the 5.8 is an inch taller, will there be hood clearance issues?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 5.8 is not the same block as the 5.0.

The 5.8 has a larger rear main bearing so the oil pan will not fit. The oil pan on an Explorer is vehicle specific so one from another truck or car will not work.

Then there is the exhaust. It will require custom made headers. The transmission you have will not hold up so it will need to go.

I don't see the problem with a PROPERLY tuned and modified 5.0L in your Explorer.

I have seen SN95 Mustangs (94/95) get 420hp from a 5.0L AND have lower emmissions than the car got when it was 260hp....

Keep the 5.0L and modify it from there....you will be fine if you do it right.

Ryan

I don't see the problem with a PROPERLY tuned and modified 5.0L in your Explorer.

I have seen SN95 Mustangs (94/95) get 420hp from a 5.0L AND have lower emmissions than the car got when it was 260hp....

Keep the 5.0L and modify it from there....you will be fine if you do it right.

Ryan

The reason he wants to swap engines is for a crazy canadian smog law.. it will get him out of having to smog it so he can hop it up all he wants (pretty much)

i agree that the trans would need work to hold up to the torque of any hopped up engine... you could consider a 5.8 and a c6 out of an f-150 or something....

I guess I also should have added more details on my current set-up. Right now it is a 4.0 OHV 5-speed and 2WD lowered as far as the OEM suspension will alow and hopefully will going through retro style body mods this winter (it all hinges on if I get the time to do it and if my wife will let me buy the parts truck that I need)

I know my tranny won't fit so I will go with either a T5 out of a F-150 or, if not ridicualy priced, an aftermarket T6 with a Hydo-clutch

As for the oil pan and headers, That's just what I wanted to know, thank you. I've known quite a few guys that have droped 351w into Rangers, so there has to be a kit somewhere.

The reason I want to go carburated is beacuse I want for people to turn around and expect to see like a '69 Mustang (or somthing like that) coming when I pull into a show or cruise-in, not somthing a little more late model And the local E-laws won't let me do that unless I go with a motor that wasn't a factory option. Besides I don't like that deep throaty sound of an EFI, it sounds like it's full of phelm, nothing beats that rumble you get from a beefed-up carburated V8.

As for the oil pan and headers, That's just what I wanted to know, thank you. I've known quite a few guys that have droped 351w into Rangers, so there has to be a kit somewhere.

Rangers used the TTB front suspension until just the last few years. It is a totally different design. You will need a custom made oil pan.

Rangers used the TTB front suspension until just the last few years. It is a totally different design. You will need a custom made oil pan.

That's O.K. I have the technoligy It's a matter figuring out if I should make it from scratch or take a 5.0 pan and weld on a 5.8 flange (depends on whether the 5.0 pick-up will work)

I started a 5.8L swap into my 1999 Ranger several years ago. Well since then, I have had two kids and not gotten to spend much time with the truck...

For your swap, need a custom pan and custom headers for sure. I did those already - no other option. 4x2 may give you some options, but I am 4x4, so all custom.

I also decided to keep the 5.0L EEC-V electronics, so I had to rebalance the 5.8L assembly to use the 5.0L explorer damper / trigger assembly. Needed this anyhow for the explorer tight to block accessory drive for radiator to fan clearance. Also needed to make custom oil pump drive / cam position sensor. The 5.0L uses 1/4" hex, and the 5.8L uses 5/16" hex drive. (I took a 5.8L distributor bottom and grafted to 5.0L explorer cam sensor.

Other details, but those were the big ones. Keep HVAC case, use 5.0L mounts, radiator. The A/C line will need to be extended to work with wider 5.8L block. Detail, details...

It seems like a lot of work to cram a 351 in to a Explorer. I hope it's worth it I want to try it to

umm...i'm doin it right now. my thread is "turdles mounty moves on". you wont have half the trouble i did since your carbed and 2wd. headers will be the big thing. you might be able to try swap headers for a 91-94 X? they aren't real good on flow tho. 1.5 primaries with a 2.5 collector is small for a 302. good luck with it!

if you go to www.rangerstaition.com and look in the tech library they have a step by step including a parts list including accessory brackets oil pan and exhaust it has a lot of good detailed info on the swap. It's a bit of a job exhaust being the most difficult but well worth the effort I did this swap on a 92 ranger 2WD and I'm getting ready to do the same swap on my 94 Explorer sport 2WD they are the same truck if it works on a ranger it works for an explorer.

The 1995+ Explorer 351W install is WAY more involved than the pre 1995.

No its not

If anything doing a carborated
5.8 is even simpler I didn't have any where near the issues with fit in my 96 sport as I did putting the motor in the 92 ranger Trust me I've done a total of 8 of these swaps from 92"s thru 02's the first gens are the roughest from 2nd gen on they get simpler. Like I said experience counts I have actually done these swaps not just sat here and talked about it!

The 1995+ Explorer 351W install is WAY more involved than the pre 1995.
I've yet to see a 95+ Explorer with a 351w in it, while I've seen 2 1991-94s with the swap done.

94 V8 Sport - yeah, I have as well. I did one of the first ever Explorer V8 engine swaps into 98+ Rangers back in 2001 - this is the same engine compartment / frame as 1995 explorers. This was complete with all EFI, PATS, accessories, etc. Looked 100% factory.

Then I added a custom made Kenne Bell supercharger system to the Explorer 5.0L engine / FEAD.

After that, is the 351W. That is WAY more involved to do as a EEC-V controlled engine with all accessories, including AC. Oh yeah, it is AWD with factory steering and engine position. The list of 100% custom pieces: Oil Pan, oil sump, balance engine to use 5.0L 50oz damper with exciter ring, oil pump drive, intake manifold for water intercooler, 1 3/4" long tube headers, etc..

Sorry, I don't screw around with hack-job carb installs - yes, anybody can do that...

GuardianSport -there are a few. Turdle's is a prime example. most have been carb'd though.

Turdle's Mounty? I thought it was a 347 Stroker.

pufferfish now owns it and is nearing completion of the 351W swap.

If anything doing a carborated
5.8 is even simpler I didn't have any where near the issues with fit in my 96 sport as I did putting the motor in the 92 ranger Trust me I've done a total of 8 of these swaps from 92"s thru 02's the first gens are the roughest from 2nd gen on they get simpler. Like I said experience counts I have actually done these swaps not just sat here and talked about it!

Interested in seeing the oil pans and headers from these swaps-
were any done into a 4x4 2nd gen?

Tmsoko

There is nothing hack about doing a carb install I'M JUST NOT AS BIG A FOOL to spend 2 to 3 times as much on that computer crap when I can spend half as much and smoke the high tech cars besides dollar for dollar tech cars wont produce the same power you have to blow a huge chunk of change to get a tech car into the 9"s

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Turdle none of my swaps were 4x4 because I drag race It is possible to do like I said earlier check out www.rangerstation.com and go to the tech library under V-8 swaps there is all the info you need.

Back