• Register Today It's free!

5" monster tach problem

d.cheverie

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer sport
Just installed an autometer 5" monster tach into my 99 sport. The reading is off, this new tach reads about 1000rpm higher than the factory tach. Anyone else had this problem?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you set it to the correct number of cylinders?

Yep, i cut the brown wire loop on the back, as per the instructions

Yep, that model looks pretty simmilar to mine. The signal wire is wired directly to the tan/yellow wire behind the dash that sends signal to the factory tach

coil primary tach

Yep, that model looks pretty simmilar to mine. The signal wire is wired directly to the tan/yellow wire behind the dash that sends signal to the factory tach

According to the installation instructions that series (233903, 233904, 233906) of tachometers is intended to be connected to the primary of the ignition coil or the output of an electronic ignition module.

You mentioned in your first post that the reading is about 1,000 rpm higher than the factory tach. Is it a constant offset (idle + 1,000 rpm, mid range + 1,000 rpm) or does the offset increase with engine speed (idle + 1,000 rpm, mid range + 2,000 rpm)?

Do you still have the factory tach connected for comparison?

Does connecting monster tach affect the factory tach reading?

I still have the factory tach connected yes. Hooked it up to this factory tach wire, just following what other people did on this forum and in a ranger forum. I will have to look on my way to work in the morning if it is a constant 1000 rpm higher or if its variable

I once had problem with my AutoM fuel gauge. Called their tech line and he walked me through it while I Ohmed it out per his instructions while we were on the phone.
Found problem.

Just did my commute to work, looks like the tach consistently reqds 800rpm higher than the factory tach.
My next step is to call autometer and see what they say.

Just did my commute to work, looks like the tach consistently reqds 800rpm higher than the factory tach.
My next step is to call autometer and see what they say.

Hope they help you out. Plus could you post back about their customer service good or bad.
It was a few years back when i called and they sure were good...then.

:popcorn:

Back