• Register Today It's free!

5 on 4.5 D44?

Chris4x4Gill2

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XL 4x4
Local person has a D44 for sale. He pulled it out of a Cherokee in favor of a D60. Origininally its from a Wagoneer I think. the bolt pattern on it is 6 on 5.5.

Question: Would it be possible to convert this to a stock explorer bolt pattern? The 5 on 4.5? I have talked to a machinist and he believes that theoretically it is possible, but is it practical?

What do you think? Is this an idea worth following up on or is it impossible?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

By that do you mean that the center hub opening on the rims isn't large enough?
You say the Rubicon uses the same bolt pattern? would it also have the smaller hub?

Any other comments on this idea?

I believe the Dodge d44 also had 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, which worked because it used vacuum hubs. Not something that I would recommend using, however.

Originally posted by Mudd*****
I believe the Dodge d44 also had 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern, which worked because it used vacuum hubs. Not something that I would recommend using, however.

I agree with him. But if ya decide to do it, all ya got to use is dodge unit bearing outters to get a 5 on 4.5 front bolt pattern

So... It should be possible to rework the bolt pattern, but the center hub will still be too large to fit the rims.

The other option is the Dodge with Vacuume Hubs. Are you saying to use these hubs on the Jeep axle or the entire dodge axle?

What about aftermarket hub assemblies like the warn locking hubs? Or does this not replace the piece that I am talking about?

You could use just the Dodge outers. With the dodge parts though, you could not use a warn locking hub, since the dodge has not 'hubs'. The locking hub is the part in question that is hard to clear with a 5 on 4.5 boplt pattern.

what dodge D44 had 5 on 4.5? i thought they were all 5 on 5.5....

Ok..so the Jeep axle with the Dodge outers and Warn Locking Hubs....and it should fit?

What dodge came with those outers?

Seems like a lot of effort and money.

An EB D44, some bolt pattern adapters for the rear, and a cheap set of "steelies" would probably end up costing you less. And definately less headaches.

Originally posted by Chris4x4Gill2
Ok..so the Jeep axle with the Dodge outers and Warn Locking Hubs....and it should fit?

What dodge came with those outers?

No. The Dodge cannot have locking hubs. It uses VACUUM hubs.

really, what Dodge D44 came with 5 on 4.5? ive been racking my brain (which isnt too hard to do) and i cant think of any.....

75-79. Like I said earlier though, it was a bad design.
You could also go with jeep dana 30 outers to keep 5 on 4.5. That d30 outers will bolt onto the dana 44. But again, no hubs on that one either.

ah, thats why i couldnt understand. friend had an 80 and i knew it was 5 on 5.5. didnt realize they had the wheenie bolt pattern early on. :)

Originally posted by Robb
Seems like a lot of effort and money.

An EB D44, some bolt pattern adapters for the rear, and a cheap set of "steelies" would probably end up costing you less. And definately less headaches.

Yeah, but you wouldn't have that cool 5 on 4.5 pattern.

It seems people go so far out of their way to save a pattern that won't let you use a real lock-out.

Alright...I give. Thanks for all the info guys, It was an idea we had been throughing around that doesn't look like its going to work.

Anyone suggest a good place to look into getting the adapters for the 8.8 from?

hey ive also been wondering about changing my bolt pattern since i'm about to put in a dana 44 with a 6 5.5 lug pattern.
so question is it will be a lot easier to change the rear 8.8 from 5 4.5 to 6 5.5? y/n
also are the m.o.r.e. spacers/adapters that Mudd***** suggested any good. y/n
and what other ways can you go about changing the bolt pattern besides using adapters?
thanks for the help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back