5 pin relay wire guide | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5 pin relay wire guide

help-5 pin relay wire guide?

I'm in the middle of doing a direct relay to my headlights. I am using 2 5 pin relays. I've only ever used a 4 pin, so I wanted to double check this:

30-Power from Battery
85-'trip' wire
86-Ground
87-Power out #1
87a-Power out #2

Makes since, because the 4-pin has all the same #'s except for 87a. But, I wanted to double check.

30 and 87a are normally closed and become open when the relay is energized. 30 and 87 then become closed.

It doesn't matter if you use - or + on 85 and 86, it will work the same. You can read up on relays here:
http://www.commandocaralarms.com/info_spdt_relays.asp

Here is a pic of the relays I have:
relay002.jpg

And here is a pic of the wiring diagram I'm following:
img001.jpg

The only changes I'm making to the diagram, is running 2 power wires to the battery, and two fuses. So that if the high beams blow the fuse, I can still use the low beams, or visa versa.
I'm still reading that page you posted, but I'm pretty sure the relays I have won't do what I want them to. Guess I'll head back up to NAPA.

Can anyone post a pic of the relay schematics I need? As well as tell me which numbers go to what? I understand wiring diagrams, like the one I posted, but all those switches and stuff on a relay confuse me.

So the center post in the diagram is 86, ground is 85, hmmm, your relays are a bit different aren't they... Yeah is would seem from the diagram on your relay that that will work fine. They are not the conventional aftermarket relay that I have been using for years... but that will work. If you want to test the relay check the continuity of 87 and 87a, should be zero ohms, activate the relay, you can use a 9V or the battery in the car for that and you should have continuity with 30 and 87 and 87a. You are good to go.

85 and 86 are no different. It's the coil that generates the magnetic field to switch the relay. It would be like hooking up a light bulb backwards, doesn't matter...

Sorry for the confusion, I haven't seen relays like that. Probably common, just haven't used them before.

Let me know how it works, if the lights are that much brighter.

C.

Back