5 speed and a new 5L?

wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
Ok, I am just about to pick up a 99-01 5L AWD, but before I do so I would like an opinion:
I have a 97 Sport with a stick and tow a 4000# camper which is over the 3000# rating. I have no problems yet and it tows very well but....we are going on a 2 week vacation from CT to Florida this summer and I have been thinking that a 4DR 5L might be a better option. Not only for durability but having an automatic for those times stuck in traffic, a 4dr for the family ECT....and also for subsequent vacations and camping trips and also the 4dr has a larger fuel tank.

So here is what I am pondering.....would the 5 speed of the Sport hold up on a long journey......

..or if it would be best advised to go with the workhorse 5L? what should I be on the look out for....I will be looking at 99 to 01 Explorer' and Mountaineers.....outside of the ovious?

I looked at one the other week at a 01 Explorer and the whole undercarriage was so rusted...a Ford mechanic said it may have been a flood victim

I have another 01 Explorer and 2 99 Mountaineers lined up this week to look at.....(as long as they arn't leather)

Thanks,
Kurt

The 4 door 5.0L will be far superior in both towing and reliability. The V8 tranny is bulletproof and I'm fairly certain most of them came with factory tranny coolers.

When looking at 5.0s, the only real thing you need to watch out for is the exhaust manifolds are prone to cracking or blowing out the gaskets. :D But other than that.. they're top notch.

Back