• Register Today It's free!

5 speed auto transmission?

cllns96

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
Hey everyone.. I have drove alot of vechiles.. and i am only 20 yrs old and in during 3 years.. i own 23 vechiles... I know what 4 speed exactly feel like. i even own a 3 speed auto before.. ofc manual.. but in this point i am wondering... My explorer shows 4 speed auto but when i was driving... and i also watched the rpm drops while going through the gears at around 3k and drops in all gears to the final one.. it has 5 speed auto. my friends having hard time believe me if it is actually 5 speed auto. I remember i have 2 friends that bought a ranger xlt and other is edge.. the stickers says 5 speed automatic but shows 4 speed on the cluster.. so tell me if your explorer is actually a 5 speed automatic.. i know mine is. and i have playted in all gears and found that in 2nd gear have 2 gears to change. let me know..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some people confuse the rpm change of the converter locking up. When you touch the brakes, the rpm will change, as the converter unlocks.

The 5R55E five speed came out in 1996. It is almost identical to the previous models. Check the VIN tag, and post the trans code here. Someone(Chris) will be able to identify it for you. Regards,

My explorer is a 96 model so does that mean i have 5R55E tranny? thought it was 4R55E?

I can hardly tell what is trying to be said from the broken english!

Yes the '96-up Ex's that had the 5r55E trans which in fact is a 5 speed auto. My 99 has the 5 speed auto I'm sure of that. Now the V8 Ex's didn't have the 5 speed. It was the standard 4 speed auto.

'97 was the first year for the 5R55E. It replaced the 4R55E. Both V6's that year for the 5R. Don hit it right with the converter locking up can be confused as a gear change.

it it was not locking up TC... i promise you i am having 5 speed gears because it is chganging all through and i counted it in each gears..

Back