5 speed auto Trany upgrade?

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
Although I have been for the most part happy with the transmission in my 98 sport V6, it does tend to get a bit sloppy a lot of the time. I was thinking of getting some sort of shift kit for it, to make the downshifts quicker and gear changes snappier.

I know it is an electronicaly controlled trans so I don't know what can be done. If anyone has done any type of mod to improve the transmission I would welcomd any comments.

After upgrading the intake and exhaust I want the trans to perform up to the new engine power.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you got a new computer tune like from www.bamachips.com it would do wonders for the shifting. It would be like a new transmission. It would also add engine power or mileage depending on what kind of tune you got.

Bri I don't understand this? How could changing the computer program improve the shift characteristics of my trany?

When it does run well it revs all the way to 6000rpm and then changes gears. It slaps through the gears nicely at times and not so well at other times. Will the bama tune give me snappy shifts that don't bog the engine and quick downsifts? Thought it was just for increased power.

It sounds like there may be a little something wrong with your trans. with the way it's shifting if it's reving to 6000rpm before it shifts a lot of times. Assuming your trans. is working properly a tune will not just give you more power but better more snappy shifts. It improves the shifting so that the trans. shifts when it's supposed to and more accurately than the factory tune.

No, no I ment it goes to six grand when I stomp my foot down and hold it there.

You said it yourself in the post... the trans IS electronically controlled.... so yes the tuners and chips can reprogram your shifts just as they can the engine. But there are several fixes and TSB's that need to be done to your 5R55 if you want it to last.. they had their share of problems but most are fixed easily. Just do a search on here and you'll read all about it.

Thanks for the info....

Back