5 Speed Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

NoBrakesJake

Reaction score
City, State
Star, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT 5 speed
Hello everyone, I just joined and this is my first post. About a year and a half ago I bought an old 1976 F-250 pickup and the guy that sold it to me gave me a 1992 Explorer 4x4 with it for free. I decided to take it because why not, its a free car. I didn't really think it was cool or special or anything but I drug it home and looked at it. As I looked at it and gave it a wash, I realized just how clean it really was. It has a perfect body with no dents and no rust at all. The interior is really dirty but its in pretty good shape, no rips in the seats. Im not sure if the color combo is rare or not but Ive only seen a handful with this color combo. The real kicker that fascinated me was that it was a 5 speed manual. Id never seen a manual Explorer before. I was originally just going to sell it for a few hundred bucks to go buy another mid 70s pickup, but I was told the 5 speeds are super rare and its worth keeping. So my question is, are the 5 speed explorers rare? If so, how rare, does anybody know how many were made? Better yet, how many 5 speed 4x4s were made?
[Edit]
I looked at some of the responses and realized that yea the 5 speeds uncommon but not super rare. I do know no matter what that the rarity wont add any value lol. I still think its rare, not because of the 5 speed, but because of the 5 speed in addition to the rest of the options. It has manual locking hubs, but power windows and power locks. And Ive seen some people on here saying the 60/40 bench seat is rare, I believe mine has a the 60/40 bench seat, Ill have to check later though.
explorer_1.jpg
explorer.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The link above is to a friends Explorer with the same colors as yours.

I bought my Explorer new in '93 with a manual transmission, manual transfercase, manual windows etc. They were not were nearly as common as automatic equipped Explorers, but not that rare since they were used in a lot of fleet vehicles.

It’s not rare enough to make it particularly valuable. There’s nothing collectible about it.

Gen 1 w 4.0 and 5 speed ooooh la la there are ALOT of Ranger and BII guys out there who would love to have that drivetrain, front and rear axle and sometimes the seats
4.0 + 5 speed = reliable

They built a ton of gen I's with the 5 speed, not as many 4 doors, but still quite a few!!! In Colorado I saw them all the time
Alot of people were tired of the A4LD automatic and troublesome auto hubs, touch drive 4x4 back then..... so a manual is a good thing and they have a following

Not rare at all, there's millions of them out there, it's only worth $100.. Out of the goodness of my heart, I'd be happy to come take it off your hands. :) (joking!) Seriously though, they are a bit rare. More specifically, some of the parts are more difficult to source. I'm having a devil of a time finding some of the interior parts that are specific to these non-electriceverything models. And yeah, this '93 I have with the 4.0 (apparently manufactured in Germany) and the 5-speed is pretty darned reliable. 175k and it's cranks over and starts instantly almost every time.

Hello everyone, I just joined and this is my first post. About a year and a half ago I bought an old 1976 F-250 pickup and the guy that sold it to me gave me a 1992 Explorer 4x4 with it for free. I decided to take it because why not, its a free car. I didn't really think it was cool or special or anything but I drug it home and looked at it. As I looked at it and gave it a wash, I realized just how clean it really was. It has a perfect body with no dents and no rust at all. The interior is really dirty but its in pretty good shape, no rips in the seats. Im not sure if the color combo is rare or not but Ive only seen a handful with this color combo. The real kicker that fascinated me was that it was a 5 speed manual. Id never seen a manual Explorer before. I was originally just going to sell it for a few hundred bucks to go buy another mid 70s pickup, but I was told the 5 speeds are super rare and its worth keeping. So my question is, are the 5 speed explorers rare? If so, how rare, does anybody know how many were made? Better yet, how many 5 speed 4x4s were made?
[Edit]
I looked at some of the responses and realized that yea the 5 speeds uncommon but not super rare. I do know no matter what that the rarity wont add any value lol. I still think its rare, not because of the 5 speed, but because of the 5 speed in addition to the rest of the options. It has manual locking hubs, but power windows and power locks. And Ive seen some people on here saying the 60/40 bench seat is rare, I believe mine has a the 60/40 bench seat, Ill have to check later

[Edit]
I looked at some of the responses and realized that yea the 5 speeds uncommon but not super rare. I do know no matter what that the rarity wont add any value lol. I still think its rare, not because of the 5 speed, but because of the 5 speed in addition to the rest of the options. It has manual locking hubs, but power windows and power locks. And Ive seen some people on here saying the 60/40 bench seat is rare, I believe mine has a the 60/40 bench seat, Ill have to check later though.
View attachment 424134View attachment 424135

[Edit]
View attachment 424134View attachment 424135
I'll take it of your hands 5 speeds aren't rare in 1st gens 2nd gens yes. But she's clean sooo

The only rare 5 speed first gen would be an Eddie Bauer 2 or 4 door. An EB 2 door is unusual enough by itself. On XL, XLT, and Sport models the manual was standard equipment with the auto being an option. On the EB package, the automatic was standard but the manual trans could be special ordered. I have only seen one EB factory 5 Spd. Limiteds only came as autos and any existing out there have been converted. They also have many other unique features.

The front bench was not a common option and I don't think it was available at all in the 2 Dr. Out of the 9 explorers (one is a Navajo) I have, only one has the front bench. I was surprised it had one when i found it. I've not ever seen another in person, but there are a few on this forum. Four of mine are manuals.

Also, just another useless fact, not all 2 drs are Sport models. The Sport name was the XLT 2 door. My first explorer was a blue on blue 92, 2dr, XL. It has clear glass, manual trans, manual windows and locks, but was optioned with the touch drive 4X4 and auto hubs originally.

BTW, welcome to the forum! The Explorer is a great and rugged vehicle. They are probably the last generation of ford vehicles that are fairly simple and durable and retain the old car feel and construction. In my opinion it's one of the best kept secrets in the 4x4 world.

I had a 2
The only rare 5 speed first gen would be an Eddie Bauer 2 or 4 door. An EB 2 door is unusual enough by itself. On XL, XLT, and Sport models the manual was standard equipment with the auto being an option. On the EB package, the automatic was standard but the manual trans could be special ordered. I have only seen one EB factory 5 Spd. Limiteds only came as autos and any existing out there have been converted. They also have many other unique features.

The front bench was not a common option and I don't think it was available at all in the 2 Dr. Out of the 9 explorers (one is a Navajo) I have, only one has the front bench. I was surprised it had one when i found it. I've not ever seen another in person, but there are a few on this forum. Four of mine are manuals.

Also, just another useless fact, not all 2 drs are Sport models. The Sport name was the XLT 2 door. My first explorer was a blue on blue 92, 2dr, XL. It has clear glass, manual trans, manual windows and locks, but was optioned with the touch drive 4X4 and auto hubs originally.

BTW, welcome to the forum! The Explorer is a great and rugged vehicle. They are probably the last generation of ford vehicles that are fairly simple and durable and retain the old car feel and construction. In my opinion it's one of the best kept secrets in the 4x4 world.
I had a 2 door XL that was Sport badged.

I had a 2

I had a 2 door XL that was Sport badged.
What year was it? I wonder if it was like the "Explorer Expedition", a one off short time option package or something. I've never seen another XL 2 dr to even know if it could be combined with the sport trim. All the sales literature i have don't point to those being a combination.

It was a 91, 5 speed with the push button 4wd.

Before I bought the 94 eb auto that I currently have, I looked at a 91 eb with a 5 speed and it was only $600 but it was trashed. It had been spray painted black had mismatched wheels no interior door panels and the dash looked like it had been smashed with a sledge hammer. So I passed.

Before I bought the 94 eb auto that I currently have, I looked at a 91 eb with a 5 speed and it was only $600 but it was trashed. It had been spray painted black had mismatched wheels no interior door panels and the dash looked like it had been smashed with a sledge hammer. So I passed.
Wow, its amazing what people will do to vehicles.

I've seen two with a bench seat one was a abandon 91 4 door I really wanted. One was a 93 sport eddie I really wanted both auto both shift on the fly tc. Power everything! Except hubs

How rare is a 98 ex XLT with all manual windows and a manual transmission? I was told shes a rare combo but no idea if true

How rare is a 98 ex XLT with all manual windows and a manual transmission? I was told shes a rare combo but no idea if true
Is it a two door? 4 door 5 speeds are fairly uncommon. Manual windows is pretty uncommon on the 2nd.

Is it a two door? 4 door 5 speeds are fairly uncommon. Manual windows is pretty uncommon on the 2nd.
4 door all manual, makes sense now cause ive only seen a handful of manual window 2nd gen explorers at junkyards. Been lookin for years too find all the arm rests but everythin is electric. Knowin shes uncommon i feel kinda bad for abusin er

have seen manual windows with auto before, especially the low buy fleet ones. of the 10 or so manual window ones i seen only a few have been stick

Hi, i live in Uruguay.
there's few Gens 1, i've seen more manual ones than automatics
There's more manual than automatics, in all brands and years here.
Mine is XLT 94 manual, power windows, and very clean ( i'm, a 4 month owner)
All the ones i've seen have power windows.

explorer interior.jpg explorer lateral.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back