5 speed manual issues

Jimmy Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Rockville, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello,

I have a 2000 Explorer Sport with the 5 speed manual.

About 2-3 months ago, it would have a hard time going into gear. The clutch seemed fine, but it seemed like the gears were not syncronizing. That went on for about a week or two, then went away.

Now, it sounds like the gears are grinding between shifts. It feels fine, but there is a faint grinding noise. I can get it almost to stop if I let off the gas before shifting (putting drag on the transmission).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Jim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you need a new clutch slave cylinder to me.,

Sounds like you need a new clutch slave cylinder to me.,

Agree, that has been the failure mode on mine. 2 replaced slave cylinders in 285K miles, you just can't completely release and it gets hard to get into gear.

=Vic=

I agree. Additionally if it only happens in one particular gear then it is syncros. With mine when I put my clutch down I have to wait. .5 of a second before I put it into first. All other gears go in perfect. I will wait until I need a new slave or clutch before I replace the syncros

Mine had a slow engagement into gear and I had to wait for engine to match the trans speed (same as driving my semi) while moving.

During the winter, I did the clutch and slave. I got it done last week and it shifts perfectly now. I didn't think the old clutch was all that worn when I got it out, so it had to have been the slave causing the problem.

I think all manual trannys should be made with remote slaves so they can be serviced independently of the clutch.. But engineers don't get it.

Hey, Hey, now.........Knocking the Engineers won't solve anything.....After all, what f***in' Engineer put the slave cylinder INSIDE the clutch housing, so when the damn thing starts to leak, ya gotta yank out the damn transmission? And, to boot, made a throw-out bearing support and bracket out of PLASTIC?

"I think all manual trannys should be made with remote slaves so they can be serviced independently of the clutch..".....I think they're called slaves because they are remote mounted. No matter if the slave is mounted OUTSIDE the bell housing, or inside, one still services them independent of the clutch, don't they?

I think I liked the old mechanical clutch release method best. imp

Our Ford Escape has the slave on the outside where is should be. Can be changed from under the hood in 5 mins...

Thanks for the advise. I was hoping for something simpler, but from the overwhelming advise about the slave cylinder, that sounds like it.

Does anyone have a diagram of the transmission and where the slave cylinder is? I can find one with the gears detailed or the slave cylinder detailed, but not one with both showing where it is in the transmission.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the advise. I was hoping for something simpler, but from the overwhelming advise about the slave cylinder, that sounds like it.

Does anyone have a diagram of the transmission and where the slave cylinder is? I can find one with the gears detailed or the slave cylinder detailed, but not one with both showing where it is in the transmission.

Thanks again.

Explorer: Yank the transmission out of the vehicle, and look into the front of the clutch housing: there you will see the throwout bearing, behind which is the slave cylinder, riding concentrically around the transmission input shaft. The bearing MAY be replaced separate of the slave, but due to labor involved, it would be foolhardy NOT to replace the slave, also.

Side note: As much of the assembly as the designers could get away with making it of plastic, it is. The hydraulic fluid seal in the slave is a frail little O-ring, but they seem to last a fairly long time. It's just a ***** to think of transmission removal for a slave cyl. leak!

I did not know Escape had the slave mounted externally: perhaps it was due to massive complaints from the repair fraternity! imp

I agree with IMP. ALso change the pilot bearing while you are in there. Do not leave it no matter how good it may seem. It will fail and you will have to go back in...

Back