5 speed shifting problem | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5 speed shifting problem

I have to feel lucky. The last time I changed mine was 2004. Will do on cleaning the clutch disc. Have you found one brand to be better than another?

The first two times i used motorcraft, thinking i didn't want to do it again!

Last time i had to do it on a sunday, so i was limited to autozone, time will tell which is better.

autozone was waaay cheaper.

I can have the trans out and back in now in about 3 hours in my driveway.

let me know if you need any tips to save time

Gentlemen,

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving weekend.

I just wanted to follow on this original post. I have changed the slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder and because transmission was out of the vehicle I installed a clutch kit and had the flywheel resurfaced and that completely fixed the shifting problem.

I was a bit concerned that with the 221,000 miles on the vehicle the transmission would require rebuilding or replacement, but a local engine re-builder indicated that if the transmission was not whining it would be OK and it was.

Thanks again for all the help.

Happy Holidays

Glad you got it fixed!

I have the same problem here. I've learned to double clutch very well in the last year or two, since it started happening, lol. I'll fix it some day. But I don't feel like throwing $ at the tranny, as long as it can still get me around.
Usually, but not always, when I have trouble with mine if I rock it back half way, like I'm going into 2nd, and then push it forward it will slip right into first.

Gentlemen,

I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving weekend.

I just wanted to follow up on this original post. I have changed the slave cylinder, clutch master cylinder and because transmission was out of the vehicle I installed a clutch kit and had the flywheel resurfaced and that completely fixed the shifting problem.

I was a bit concerned that with the 221,000 miles on the vehicle the transmission would require rebuilding or replacement, but a local engine re-builder indicated that if the transmission was not whining it would be OK and it was.

Thanks again for all the help.

Happy Holidays

Back