5 speed stick grinding problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5 speed stick grinding problem

dark1463

Reaction score
City, State
pratt ks
Year, Model & Trim Level
i have a 5 speed ford explorer 94 2 wheel drive it just started making a grinding noise when its in 1st and 2nt gear and some times reverse it only does it in them gears i am worryed to drive it now what could it be and how much would it be to fix it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Grinding when already IN gear, not when shifting and missing a gear?

That would be pretty bad, possibly the syncros and gears having friction they're not supposed to.

I'd say check the transmission fluid ASAP. It may be very low, very dirty, very old, or all three. If new ATF in there doesn't fix it (use regular Dex/Merc ATF, or Mercon V is ok too), then you'll be looking at probably having to drop the tranny and possibly taking it apart or rebuilding it, probably replacing any worn gears/syncros/forks and other small parts.

transmission fluid? did not know that a stick shift had transmission fluid ill do that 1st thing in morning i know my suv has 229k miles on it so that could be it i hope i know stick shift transmissions dont go out that often

hows it shift? clutch disengaging completely, other gears shifting easily?

a grind going into reverse is normal if you don't hit another gear first before shifting to reverse (reverse has no syncro)

well its a hydraulic setup so it has issues going into gears some times because of the thing that stops you from putting it in wrong gear the clutch feels fine its really nice and firm and the grinding its self only happens when i let off clutch and apply gas the odd thing its not continence it will stop and start back up at 1st i was thinking my wheel was rubbing the fender wall or something because that's what it sounds like once you get past 1st gear it shifts fine 1st gear can be a pain to shift into tho

grinding in 1st 2nd reverse

I had the same problem with my 91 5spd and I drained all of the old fluid and replaced it with GM synchromesh, and by the time I got home, 3 miles, it had stopped and I haven't had a problem since.

ok where would i get the fluid at and price range?

ok where would i get the fluid at and price range?

I work in a shop that just happens to have it on hand so I did it for free but if u know someone that works for a quick lube try them or any parts store or I would think gm would have it. But I have heard the fluid is kinda pricey.

ok i changed out the trans fluid and its still doing it thinking it might be u joints it has alittle play turning wise is that normal?

ok i changed out the trans fluid and its still doing it thinking it might be u joints it has alittle play turning wise is that normal?

U joints wouldn't affect the transmission shifting or the turning.

depends most of the time almost all the way to floor

well its a hydraulic setup so it has issues going into gears some times because of the thing that stops you from putting it in wrong gear the clutch feels fine its really nice and firm and the grinding its self only happens when i let off clutch and apply gas the odd thing its not continence it will stop and start back up at 1st i was thinking my wheel was rubbing the fender wall or something because that's what it sounds like once you get past 1st gear it shifts fine 1st gear can be a pain to shift into tho

depends most of the time almost all the way to floor

IT seems you don't fully understand how a hydraulic clutch works.
the only hydraulic part of this system is the clutch pedal. the transmission itself is completely mechanical.

if your clutch pedal is most of the way to the floor before anything happens, then it is not disengaging completely, that is why you are getting grinding problems shifting gears (basically its as if your only pushing the clutch part way in a properly functioning vehicle)
another result of this would be that the shifter doesn't always slide into gear, but takes a little force to click into gears (this is very hard on synchros)

is your clutch reservoir full of fluid? if it ever went empty there is a chance it got air in the system and needs to be bled, otherwise, the hydraulic slave cylinders and throw out bearing (integrated i believe) tend to go bad and this is the result. chat that and you'll be golden. and while you're at it, i'd throw in a new clutch disc at the same time.

I'm new to explorers so forgive my surprise... The slave cylinder and throwout bearing are integrated! I just looked that up to see what it looked like. Apparently it is self adjusting?

And, yeah, you should get the clutch worked out first, you could end up fixing this with a $5 can of hydraulic fluid.

Back