5-speed trans grinds in 2nd when hot | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5-speed trans grinds in 2nd when hot

bmcquist

Reaction score
City, State
Livonia, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
I have a '93 XLT with a 5sp manual and around 120,000 miles on it. It runs great but it periodically has a hard time going into 2nd, but for the most part shifts fine. However, if I take it on the highway for more than 10-15 miles, once I back on the surface streets it grinds going into 2nd gear (accelerating or decelerating) until it sits for 30+ minutes and then it shifts fine again. Shifting into 1, 3, 4 or 5 works fine, hot or cold. I run Mobil1 trans fluid but it hasn't been changed in about 18 months and the clutch is 2 years old with about 20,000 miles on it.
Any suggestions as to what the 2nd gear grinding is about?
Thank you for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have it rebuilt now, before you do more damage. It's probably the syncros or blocking rings. Trust me it will get worse when it gets real hot for the summer.

I agree, it sounds like you are starting to lose the syncro.

Well, I suppose it could be worse. Has anybody cracked into one and replaced the synchros themselves, or is it a job for the pros?

I pulled my 5 speed apart on my mustang, what a mistake that was. Pull the trans yourself, and take it somewhere to be repaired. Should save you a couple of bucks on the job. It's not worth the trouble or the aggravation. Especially if it's your daily driver.

Thanks for the input. Since it is my daily driver I think I will take your advice and drop it myself and have someone else fix it.

Back