5 Star Group Buy (dont buy)

blwnsmoke

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Hey Guys, Been in contact with 5 star trying to get a group buy setup for us ST owners (inquiring about Platinum owners too).

Although I have some of the answers and a price discount for us, I'm waiting on a little clarification (hoping to get today if not by tomorrow).

Once I get the info, I will post for anyone interested in taking advantage of the group buy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So here are the details thus far. $100 cheaper for forum members on the group buy. They use the nGauge which would cost us $599 and you would get a $200 credit if you have an X4 and trade it in. The unit is able to be resold to someone else if you choose to get rid of it.

You get the option of any 3 tunes included in the price.

Let me know if there are any other questions and please post if you are interested. I'd like to try to get a head count if you will to see the level of interest.

They are still fine tuning the tunes and wont be ready till end of the month (estimating).

So here are the details thus far. $100 cheaper for forum members on the group buy. They use the nGauge which would cost us $599 and you would get a $200 credit if you have an X4. The unit is able to be resold to someone else if you choose to get rid of it.

You get the option of any 3 tunes included in the price.

Let me know if there are any other questions and please post if you are interested. I'd like to try to get a head count if you will to see the level of interest.

They are still fine tuning the tunes and wont be ready till end of the month (estimating).

Thanks for working this Blwnsmoke, I would be interested (if my ST ever gets here!). I have an X4 that I used with the Mustang.

Hey Guys, Been in contact with 5 star trying to get a group buy setup for us ST owners (inquiring about Platinum owners too).

Although I have some of the answers and a price discount for us, I'm waiting on a little clarification (hoping to get today if not by tomorrow).

Once I get the info, I will post for anyone interested in taking advantage of the group buy.
Interested too

Whats an X 4?

images.jpeg

Justin Starkey with VMP has tuned several of my Mustangs and has shown interest in tuning my ST as well. I don't know much about 5Star so I'd have to do some research

Just sent 5star another email. Was giving them some time as they were working on tweaks. I see on their website that it is available for purchase so hopefully can wrap this up soon and anyone who wants to buy, can do so.

Well guys, the owner of 5star has decided to take back the group buy discount. Everybody is free to do what they choose but I certainly will not do business with this company any longer.

To spend days going back and forth and then withdraw the $100 discount is bad business. They also completely ignored my questions regarding the 10r60 and the concerns we had regarding reliable power without causing trans issues.

I will wait for more tuners to come out and discuss group buys with them.

Ah well. Thanks for trying. Still getting a feel for the car so not in any hurry.

Well guys, the owner of 5star has decided to take back the group buy discount. Everybody is free to do what they choose but I certainly will not do business with this company any longer.

To spend days going back and forth and then withdraw the $100 discount is bad business. They also completely ignored my questions regarding the 10r60 and the concerns we had regarding reliable power without causing trans issues.

I will wait for more tuners to come out and discuss group buys with them.

I owned a F150 with 3.5L TT and they made me feel uneasy about getting a tune with them based on customer feedback and especially issues with tune themselves.

Sounds like we're better off waiting for a tuner that is taking long-term reliability into account, anyway. Good riddance.

I had horrible detonation on a 5.4 3v tune I got from 5 star. It was a stock engine with phaser lock and a simple tow tune. They insisted their tune was fine even after I explained it didn't do it on stock tune but had CEL. They blamed the truck for pulling timing with CEL on and nothing wrong with the tune..... I'd go Livernois for an out the box tune.

I'm sure there are those who have had good and bad experiences from all tuners. Bummer this deal fell through.

I'm sure there are those who have had good and bad experiences from all tuners. Bummer this deal fell through.

Frankly I am glad it happened like this. A business does not deserve our business if they are going to play these types of games.

Not only did a sales member state the price but their Sales Manager confirmed it through the Sales person 2 times.

They knew I was going to create a thread to discuss the pricing offer to members. Seems now that they know the thread was created and there is some buzz on it, they choose not to honor it.

I hope everyone here chooses to go a different route and not reward their business practices with your money.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sad to hear this. Maybe as others have stated Livernois or Palm Beach Dyno?

I know many will chime in with Oz. Count me out on his stuff... one blown up engine with 8K miles on it is enough. Sure could have potentially happened with any tuner, but his complete arrogance and stance of infallibility and God like complex leads me to NEVER want to do any business with him, ever.
1.png

Back