5 Star Group Buy (dont buy) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5 Star Group Buy (dont buy)

Frankly I am glad it happened like this. A business does not deserve our business if they are going to play these types of games.

Not only did a sales member state the price but their Sales Manager confirmed it through the Sales person 2 times.

They knew I was going to create a thread to discuss the pricing offer to members. Seems now that they know the thread was created and there is some buzz on it, they choose not to honor it.

I hope everyone here chooses to go a different route and not reward their business practices with your money.

Agreed. It's better to give a good tuner your money that will take into account reliability and shortcomings/limitations of the stock parts. Livernois should get some good ST owner orders now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Agreed. It's better to give a good tuner your money that will take into account reliability and shortcomings/limitations of the stock parts. Livernois should get some good ST owner orders now.

I still dont like their locked tuner that cant be resold. I'll wait for other tuners who use the nGauge.

At least LME does offer a trade in, but I agree it would be nice to reuse the tuner hardware if you sell and buy a new car.

I live about 15 minutes from Palm Beach Dyno and one of my buddies knows them. With the baseline performance of the ST I am tempted to not install a tune just to avoid any risk. I will get more info from my friend about them. Has anyone used PBD?

I'm just not happy leaving ANYTHING stock.

Hence my home electronics lab, I take everything apart to make it better :)

70AEBFC6-4BC4-4EC8-BC87-3D9B3027A8A6.jpg

well....this is certainly not good business. SAY what you'll do and DO what you say! I don't spend money with those that don't...at least not after I find out.

well....this is certainly not good business. SAY what you'll do and DO what you say! I don't spend money with those that don't...at least not after I find out.

Yup, they could have just honored a 1 time group buy. They knew I was starting a thread on it to drum up interest. Would seem to me that they did that to peak peoples interest and get the word out.

Now I hope not a single person gives them their money.

Yup, they could have just honored a 1 time group buy. They knew I was starting a thread on it to drum up interest. Would seem to me that they did that to peak peoples interest and get the word out.

Now I hope not a single person gives them their money.

I suppose I can maybe understand backing out of the deal as I can't pretend to know what underlying reasons the owner might have. My problems are twofold. If you are going to allow your sales folks (and manager) to attempt a deal like this empower them with the authority to make it happen and then don't back out of the deal. My second issue is the biggest one, the lack of communication and reponses... regardless of what happened internally, change of heart, business policy.. they could have done what is right and simply communicated. Tell us you made a mistake, come up with a story as to why you can't participate in a Group Buy with us. Heck they could have even come up with a creative discount coupon on other hard goods or areas where maybe they feel they have better margin.

It's a shame and it puts my choices in a difficult spot. I have a good buddy that knows the tuning landscape VERY well and was instrumental in pouring over all my logs from my Oz tuning disaster blowing up my 8K 2018 F150 motor. He highly recommends 5-Star for the EcoBoost tuning, specifically calling for me to talk to Chris Duncan over there. So this pretty much leaves me with PBD or Livernois. Its a shame because 5-Star does seem to have a very good reputation with EcoBoost tuning.

In our current society this is the kind of horse crap that seems to exist more and more. Folks just don't stand behind what they say. Why.. no consequences. In the age of keyboard warriors and online shopping... doing what is right or you get a shovel upside your head, just does not play well anymore.

As a pretty large group of auto enthusiasts, we can show our disdain by banding together and NOT giving our hard earned money to 5-Star.

^ Just go with what you trust. If you want a 5 Star tune go with it. Just a side note, the more time I have with the LME tune the happier I am with it.

^ Just go with what you trust. If you want a 5 Star tune go with it. Just a side note, the more time I have with the LME tune the happier I am with it.
Do you notice much difference in the transmission? Thoughts?

Honestly, I cant say I noticed a big difference in the trans. Its hard to tell the 1,3,5.. vs 1,2,3,4,5 shifting. Not much difference in firmness, maybe a bit more firm. It wont downshift if your in manual and stand on it. Overall its very derivable and picks the right gear, holds the right gear very well both cruising and more aggressive driving. The most noticeable thing is the boost to the midrange torque. Its silly how hard it can pull right in the RPM range you find yourself 90% of the time.

Just going to add, with the locked in gear manual mode and all the extra midrange torque, its a blast to drive in manual. There is a continuous proportion of how hard the truck pulls to the throttle position. I've driven many cars the throttle would have minimal effect after a point, at least until the RPM was high enough. Not so with my ST, you could be at 3K RPM in 3nd gear, there is a linear increase in pull at all throttle positions. Supper fun to drive, feels like a stout V8.

Just going to add, with the locked in gear manual mode and all the extra midrange torque, its a blast to drive in manual. There is a continuous proportion of how hard the truck pulls to the throttle position. I've driven many cars the throttle would have minimal effect after a point, at least until the RPM was high enough. Not so with my ST, you could be at 3K RPM in 3nd gear, there is a linear increase in pull at all throttle positions. Supper fun to drive, feels like a stout V8.

Ur talking about a modified ST or stock ST?

Ur talking about a modified ST or stock ST?

Modified, in stock trim, the trans will downshift even in the manual mode if the RPM is low enough and open the throttle. There is also quite a bit more midrange torque to be found with a tune.

See my evil laugh thread;
Muahahaha

Ya, I am all set with that crap. I bet they saw the thread (I originally linked them to it before they pulled out) and trying to save face. There is absolutely no reason to mention this forum on their site when the owner specifically said they were not honoring it.

What a dirty move on their part.

Thanks for letting me know this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe 5star will explain their side at some point. There had to be a misunderstanding somewhere.

Back