5 Year old Infinity 6802CF (Weird Connection) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5 Year old Infinity 6802CF (Weird Connection)

RickMar

Reaction score
City, State
N. Andover Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mercury Mountaineer
Hi,
Thank you for taking the time to read this thread.
I have posted several questions related to car audio and have been receiving excellent input. I am not in any way knowledgable of crossovers,Hertz,RMS,T.H.D. etc. but I am learning fast.

Today I popped off the door panel to see what the power rating was on my
(4)Infinity 6802CF speakers which are 5 years old.

They are two way reference speakers and can handle 60W RMS / 180 watts peak. I have never used an amplifier on them. The only thing that drives them is my Alpine CDA-9827 cd/stereo
Power Output 18 W RMS × 4
The speakers really don't sound bad at all with such low power going into them.
I have a A4402T Audiobahn amp that pushes a 10" Infinity sub.
•100 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms
•200 watts RMS x 2 at 2 ohms
•400 watts RMS x 1 bridged output

Here is where I get stumped again!!:(
There is an "el'-cheapo" thin (grey/grey black striped) wire running to the Infinity speaker. Placed in-line and taped in place just before the (+) positive connector of the speaker there is a "Blue" 1/2 inch round by 1 inch long (Whatever-it-is) connected.
The only thing printed on it is (AMI) (99MFD 10%) (100WV).
Could one of you Pro's fill me in on what this (what-ever-it-is) thing dangling from my (+) speaker wire is and why it was used?
Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you;
Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That 99MFD is a capacitor, here being used for a high-pass filter.

Thank you for the information Larry, I appreciate it.
If I use an amplifier will I need to remove the capacitor or keep it connected ?

Rick

It won't hurt anything to keep it on but it will change your high-pass roll-off point assuming your amp has built-in high and low pass filter settings, as most 2 and 4 channel amps have. If your new amp has the filters, take it off, if your new amp does NOT have high-pass filter settings, leave it connected. (high/low pass filtering aka frequency crossover)

Thank you very much for the information Larry, I appreciate it.
It is strange that the installer put them in place because I have NO amp going to the speakers. All that is powering the Infinity speakers is 18Watts max from my Alpine stereo/cd.
Maybe the installer thought I was having an amp installed at that time (5) years ago.

Thanks again;
Rick

The filter is being used to perform a similar function to the built-in high-pass crossover of an amplifier.

It was used BECAUSE the speakers were being powered by the stereo.

It's actually a very nice touch and someone who cared about you not getting distortion in your front speakers did that. Most car audio shops wouldn't have even bothered.

If you use an amp, take it off and use the built-in high-pass crossover in the amplifier instead.

Back