• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

50 Cars That Will Last More Than 250,000 Miles

allmyEXes

Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Merc "MO" the 5.0
Callsign
KAGG 3611

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
That's cool. But does it list other factors, like location? No vehicle in the typical Northern salt climates will last 50 years. Car care is still more important than the manufacturer. A car from India or China will last 50 years, if it's in say Arizona its whole life, and well taken care of.

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
A new or late model car is expected to last 250,000 miles or it isn't worth buying. I've never had an issue getting more than 250,000 miles out of any car I've bought.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
250,000 is only impressive to me if nothing major is ever replaced.

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
250,000 is only impressive to me if nothing major is ever replaced.
Ditto, it's about what the owner has to do to reach 250k miles, or 50 years etc. My V6 99 Explorer had the trans go out at 152k, my two 302's are still fine with 210k and 218k. Does an AWD TC count, my 98 is 2WD now, since last Summer? I've got the $450 of parts here to rebuild one.

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
EF Vendor
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
It’s also about just being robust. My last Mounty is sitting at 220k, and was beaten savagely it’s entire life. 20k oil changes, commercial plowing, always ran oversized mud tires, ran the transmission flat empty twice. Bouncing off the rev limiter a dozen times every time it was driven. Driving 2 hours on the speed limiter on several occasions.

Very little maintenance. Amazingly stock for what it’s been through. It’d have made 300k if not for rust. The most expensive repair it ever had was a front driveshaft.

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
It’s also about just being robust. My last Mounty is sitting at 220k, and was beaten savagely it’s entire life. 20k oil changes, commercial plowing, always ran oversized mud tires, ran the transmission flat empty twice. Bouncing off the rev limiter a dozen times every time it was driven. Driving 2 hours on the speed limiter on several occasions.

Very little maintenance. Amazingly stock for what it’s been through. It’d have made 300k if not for rust. The most expensive repair it ever had was a front driveshaft.
That's great, and was that front shaft one of those $400 jobs, back in the early 2000's?

My 98 Mounty had the shaft go bad a month after I got it, on Christmas day. I thought it was a left hub or axle. After that didn't fix it, I removed the front shaft to isolate the noise. It was the CV, boot intact but obviously bad inside. I didn't like that way high new shaft price. I had a new shaft made with a DC joint, which left a vibration. I got a used shaft later on, which is still fine today after about 85k more miles. Now you can buy a $75 CV rebuild kit to fix those front drive shafts.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD
You could only hold onto it as long as parts are available.
You have to become a pack rat, within about ten years of the last model of the vehicle. I've collected a bunch of the obsolete parts that are most likely to wear out. The rubber/trim/seals, and glass parts are among the hardest to find. The rear hatch and glass seals are gone now, as are the hatch latches, and most interior parts.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
You have to become a pack rat.
I've owned Aerostars for 26 years, and have a collection of parts. Occasionally I need a part that's not available so I have to improvise, but it gets more difficult as these vans age. This is where 3D printing comes in handy. I've designed & printed bushings over a year ago that are heavy duty. The cheap parts from the auto parts store don't last too long.

Last edited:

974X4BLACKSPORT

Reaction score
City, State
hudson
Year, Model & Trim Level
BLACK 1997 SPORT 4 BY 4
I had a 1994 F250 STd cab and bed, 351W EFI, 250,000 miles HARD miles, no leaks, no smoke, ran perfect when the company got rid of it in 2001, hauled two tons of fertilizer in the bed daily, sometimes pulling a trailer with two tons. We just did normal maintenance.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SVO 10 Dirt cheap collectible cars All Other Makes and Models 2
Rick Brandy's Hot Rods and Muscle Cars All Other Makes and Models 4
JDraper Wish I could afford one of these beat up old cars.... All Other Makes and Models 9
SVO Fords 1st real venture bringing us Euro cars All Other Makes and Models 7
FROADER Cars I see driving from my dad's house. All Other Makes and Models 1
Rick New Cars and Spy Reports - September 2006 All Other Makes and Models 0
Rick New Cars: Saturn Aura, BMW 3 Series Coupe and More All Other Makes and Models 0
Rick Long-Term Test Cars: Liberty Sport CRD, Cobalt SS, M35 and More All Other Makes and Models 0
Blee1099 Maryland State Police newest cars All Other Makes and Models 33
S your thoughts on buying premodded cars... All Other Makes and Models 7
Blee1099 Chrysler recalls 2.7 million cars All Other Makes and Models 2
8 Are Audi's good cars All Other Makes and Models 4
Stephen Sneaking out to test drive some cars tomorrow... All Other Makes and Models 23
S Cars around town... All Other Makes and Models 89
Black Magic The top 4 Ugliest cars of the past 25 years... All Other Makes and Models 0
V Lets see pics of your non-Xplorer project cars/trucks... All Other Makes and Models 21
H Opinions on new cars All Other Makes and Models 43
9 Funny Cars All Other Makes and Models 10
L How long can your car last if you replace the starter but not the fly wheel? All Other Makes and Models 0
S My 07 Altima 2.5 S got hit last night All Other Makes and Models 8
ions Neighbor just got done 2yrs of work last week... All Other Makes and Models 3
F Ford 460/7.5L...don't last long? All Other Makes and Models 12
J Drove a 2002 Caddy Deville last night All Other Makes and Models 5
X No more Explorer All Other Makes and Models 0
4 Halo headlights and more installed on my show car (charger) All Other Makes and Models 6
9 GM says no more Pontiac. All Other Makes and Models 8
T My brothers truck is getting lifted some more All Other Makes and Models 3
S Working on a GMC Jimmy makes me love my X even more All Other Makes and Models 1
J What more of a pain in the a$$? Ford 4.0L Timing Chain or VW's 1.9TDI Timing Belt. All Other Makes and Models 9
O More aussies to the USA All Other Makes and Models 3
SuRrEaLNJ More cost effective daily driver? All Other Makes and Models 21
H I'm thinking even more of joining the darkside... All Other Makes and Models 22
A Mountaineer no more All Other Makes and Models 5
H More stock capability for the Rubicon... All Other Makes and Models 0
T more from my 429 All Other Makes and Models 14
2 Im back with more questions for the general people All Other Makes and Models 7
F Scottie! I need more power!!!! and gears All Other Makes and Models 8