$50 HID's!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

$50 HID's!!!

Hey there everyone! I've been wanting to post about these HID lights i picked up about a week ago, but I figured I'd give em a bit of a trial run before I might end up having to post a "never mind, these are P.O.S. waste of $", but after a mind numbingly SIMPLE plug n play install, and having them be up front taking the first hits :D and fearlessly lighting the way for my offroad adventuring that has my poor '02 looking like a badly abused war wagon, rather than the DD that it so badly wants to continue as, I would have to say that I think I've finally gotten a quality product at a smokin price.

I stumbled on a posting on my local CL for "HID $50", so, naturally i clicked on it. I ended up talking to a guy in Coeur d'Alene, Id., who after a bit of QnA, ultimately ended up meeting me in Sandpoint and providing me w/2 sets of HID's(6000k for lobeam,4200k for hibeam)for $100, and an additional set of lamps(3000k -yellow) for an extra $35. Grand total $135.

I currently have the 6000k for my lo's, and 4200k for the hi's, but I have a friend that is running 3000k's for his hi beam and 6000ish for his lo, and the combo of the two seems to cut thru the driving blizzards, fog, heavy rain and the blackest of black times infinity. and for an additional $35, hell, if nothin else, i have a spare set of lamps....might come in handy??:rolleyes::roll:

Attachments

• HID 1.jpg
    HID 1.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 778
  • HID box.jpg
    HID box.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 801

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

o.k., i admit that they look to have a price that kicked my $50 ass. but as i am the instant gratification type i will always be inclined (OCD??) to spend a bit more to have something in my hand when my money leaves it,also the "try it and make sure its what im after" thing factors in also. the ddm kits look basically the same as ones i got as far as the plug n play part, but the ballasts are slimmer than mine...whats "full digital", and what would the ones i have be? mine are approx. 1"thick, x3x4, and one end lights up "H.I.D." in blue when its on. should i try selling them and get the ddm kits? would my lamps (35w)work with another brand ballast?:confused:

im interested, i have no experience with HID lighting, would either of these kit make me loose high or low beam and just have a single beam?
i dont like the idea of that, but i really dont know much about these?

i have separate hi and lo bulbs, and when on hi beam, my los stay on as well, so i have a total of four lites on.( two kits) if you have one bulb that is hi and lo, thats what the hi/lo kits are, they have a solenoid that pushes/pulls the lamp so it is in a diffrent spot in the reflector housing, giving you a hi or lo effect via focal pattern. bi-xenon is two lamps on one bulb assy. as far as my understanding has it.

oh ok i see what your saying, i want to put these in my stock housings, is that possible?
i would need the 9007 hi/low correct?
im on the ddm site and it says they have 55 watt ones that are extra, do you think its worth it?
Also whats an error eliminator and a HID Harness?

personally id pay a bit more for an ass load more light! my 35 watters are damn brite, but hell, 55 gotta be better, rite?

Attachments

• HID 1.jpg
    HID 1.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 702

Its not legal to put hids in stock housings especially 55watts. You will need to get some projectors to help aim the light.
I have retrofited projectors into my headlights and its a huge upgrade and I dont piss off other drivers.
Google hid glare and it should change your mind.

i drive with my hi beams on all the time now due to one dead low beam bulb and i have never been flashed... but my headlights are aimed properly ;) i pull up behind a sedan or hatchback and my hi beams DONT light up their rear view mirror. But lights up WAY down the road.

personally id pay a bit more for an ass load more light! my 35 watters are damn brite, but hell, 55 gotta be better, rite?

That is what other drivers see when they pass you. An ass load of light making an all-out assault on their retinas.

so should i go with the 55 watters or the 35 watters?

35w. You're already going to be scattering a bunch of light everywhere by using the stock housing. 55w will just insure that you're flashed by every single driver you pass

oh ok i see what your saying, i want to put these in my stock housings, is that possible?
i would need the 9007 hi/low correct?
im on the ddm site and it says they have 55 watt ones that are extra, do you think its worth it?
Also whats an error eliminator and a HID Harness?

you need to install it in your projector housing.... 9007 hid conversion kit is single beam , man....

what you mean 9007 hi/low beam is 9007-2 hi/low hid conversion kit

you need to choose 35w hid kit 6000k or 4300k that are very bright in night time

what the ddm told you is bull ****......

1. Don't worry about the $50, you might have been better off! I sold $39 kits/installs for a company for awhile. In at least 50% of the kits I sold, the lights would end up "flickering" for clients or have other strange, small problems. I'm sure I don't need to tell you that cheapest isn't always best....

2. 35 Watt kits are the better kits all around - they provide the perfect amount of light, they usually never have fitting issues (55 watt bulbs are slightly longer + fatter most times), and they have also been said to have a longer life.

3. Bi-Xenon's are awesome!! I have a set I bought off of eBay 3 years ago now that are still going strong. Mine actually use a clever electromagnet setup that pulls the entire bulb further back into the headlight housing, spreading more light. I believe they ran me about $120 and were a little more work to install, but they are great!

4. People will constantly tell you that you're the devil for putting HID's in stock headlights. Well, not all of us have the luxury of owning a model that has aftermarket headlight options. Also, I'm not about to "bake" my headlights apart and risk ruining them to somehow stick a pricey projector (and they are not all the same) in my headlight. They are honestly not bad. Sure there may be the few exceptions that are annoying when you're driving at them, but for god sakes don't stare directly at them and I promise the expericen will be over momentarily. BTW I have NEVER been pulled over in the 3 years I've had them in my truck.

Hey this is my first post other than my post in the new member post but nymount21 is correct in my eyes, I actually sell hid kits here locally and while technically they are not legal I have yet to have anyone I have put a set in get pulled over. As long as you aim the light correctly I havnt had any problem with really blinding on coming traffic, also as stated above the I wouldn't recommend running a 55w kit, they get a lot hotter and some people have problems melting their headlight housings. The one thing I don't like about HIDs in vehicles like older rangers/explorers that don't have clear housings is that it's just not as clean looking as clear housing lights but they are still a ton brighter! I always run the 4300k bulbs in my personal rides because I like the bright white light and not really into the blue look plus 4300k puts out the most lumens of any bulb color... I'm glad to see a lot of y'all not wanting to burn people at the stake for running plug and play hid kits cause I know over on the Infiniti boards I'm a member of if you even mention running non factory hids they will just about round up a posse and jump you LOL

Well i ordered the Apexcone Raptor 35 watt HID kit
it was 10 bux cheaper then the ddm but made my the same company.
i got the 9007 high/low with 5000k color
grand total was 77 bux shipped to Canada
Ill give them a review when i get them.
Im going to try to clean my headlights now to get the yellow off.

Good luck, I have never dealt directly with ddm but they seem to have mixed reviews everybody says their kits are great but shipping is super slow and they sometimes ship the wrong product.. But I think that had a lot to do with the people buying multiple kits at the same time.... I was actually going to go thru them instead of my guy now because their prices are so cheap but decided to stay with somebody on the east coast.... If anyone is around Greenville sc and needs some help with there hids let me know, I know some kits you have to switch the wiring around in the plug to make it work with fords and what not... I'm no expert by any means but I have put in a hundred or so kits and like being able to help out anyway I can.... Also Im not sure how you planned on cleaning your lights, but if you don't have access to a buffer or a headlight restoration kit, some people have had good results using never dull, or paste toothpaste...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yea, i have a buffer and a meguiers foam attachement for the drill, one thing thou, those little nubs on the headlight, can i just cut those off? or should i leave them?
i searched up apexcone raptor vs ddm slim ballasts, the only difference is that the igniter is in one of the ballasts and the other is not.
does the toothpaste really work?

Back