50 Series SUV dual out exhaust for 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

50 Series SUV dual out exhaust for 5.0

fordsRfun

Reaction score
City, State
hailey, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 awd v8 xlt
I was told by a local exhaust shop that a 50 Series SUV Flowmaster with dual out will actually result in a loss of HP and that I should stick with a single out application. They said that the bending involved for the second tailpipe would diminish the airflow. Does this sound like B.S. to anyone else? I will be using my stock tailpipe in this dual out application, so that just doesn't seem possible to me.

1997 5.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With dual 2.5s, you won't have any problems. In reality, one 2.5 is suffcient for the stock motor. Because of the extra flow, you will loose back pressure, and possibly some low end torque.

On my 5.0 we opted to get rid of the two cats and only leave the one off the manifold while still retaining the o2 sensors. We built custome tubing off the two manifolds and had them merge to a single 3in dynomax race muffler as a resonator then to a 3in spintech dumped out infront of the rear tire to cut down on in cab resonance and it is *****en. I couldnt be more happy with the performance and sound it produces. I wouldnt go anything less than 3in on a v-8. Thats what we were told by a few muffler shops down in our area.

Id say they were correct. I removed my second cats, leaving the O2 sensors in place, had a custom built Y pipe built. The two pipes go into one 2.5" pipe, into a Dynomax three chamber, then exit in the factory location. The muffler shop just took my factory pipe and bent a new bigger pipe the same shape. I have Torque Monster Headers and it sounds awsome. The only thing I dont like is the highway drone. If there is any load- passengers or trailer it is almost unbearable. It wasnt that way before the headers, but the extra flow makes for more noise. But you do have to have back pressure to keep from losing your low end. You can see some pictures of my exhaust setup on my TMH install thread.Click Here

Isnt the stock tail pipe 2.25" and not 2.5"?

I was going to do the dual in/dual out but keep the 2.25" tails to help keep some back pressure..

Yeah, the stock exhaust is around 2", may be smaller or bigger, but not by much. Seems like it was just under 2" though. Id say you should be allright with the 2.25" pipe, I wouldnt go any bigger. You need a certain amount of backpressure to keep your torque in a useable range.

Stock sizes:

OHV- 2"
OHV 2" flares to 2.25" at the end
V8- 2.25" throughout.

It sure seems like my origonal exhaust was smaller than that, either that or my new exhaust is bigger than 2.5. What I can't figure out is why ford made a dual in single out muffler with the same size inlets and outlet. 2.25 x 2 into the muffler and 2.25 out seems like it would choke it down.

i have a true dual 40 series system, only two cats, and a custom "h" pipe just b4 the mufflers, they also turn down at the last hangers b4 the axle, i love it, i have had both the 50 series dual in dual out, and the current set i have runnin, as well as straight piped for a few weeks. My advice is that if you have a custom intake, as well as a chip, the true dual system will be your best bet. Just my advice though.

Intake
http://www.explorerforum.com/files/37614/100_0768.MOV

Exhaust
http://www.explorerforum.com/files/37614/100_0769.MOV

IAmTodd said:
Stock sizes:

OHV- 2"
OHV 2" flares to 2.25" at the end
V8- 2.25" throughout.

So what about the SOHC Ex's???

I'm pretty sure they are 2.25" throughout

everythintech said:
i have a true dual 40 series system, only two cats, and a custom "h" pipe just b4 the mufflers, they also turn down at the last hangers b4 the axle, i love it, i have had both the 50 series dual in dual out, and the current set i have runnin, as well as straight piped for a few weeks. My advice is that if you have a custom intake, as well as a chip, the true dual system will be your best bet. Just my advice though.

Intake
http://www.explorerforum.com/files/37614/100_0768.MOV

Exhaust
http://www.explorerforum.com/files/37614/100_0769.MOV

So you have two high flow cats into an H-pipe, and then through 2 Super 40's? How is the highway drone?

I tworks fine
Click my link for an idea of what it will sound like
Good luck, a good muff shop won't want to run duals, but they will

jtsmith said:
Good luck, a good muff shop won't want to run duals, but they will

I very much disagree, a good muffler shop will run duals and they will make an "h" pipe, i dont even notice my 40 series anymore till i push the gas a little harder then normal, i had a 1970 chevy with turn downs right under the cab, and that was drone, but this, no way. The only reason a muffler shop wouldnt run duals is because they have alack of talent and cant figure out how to put duals in. just ask yourself this, we have a comparable engine to a 5.0 mustang, do they run duals? or singles? do they run an "h" pipe or an "x" pipe? Yes i have only the two cats, followed by an h pipe, then the mufflers.

But on mine, i have a little less sound dampening, i dont have carpet. When i had them out the side, it was very noticeable, but turned down in the back not anymore, and if you really hate drone, get them outa the back.

are you stayin pretty much stock, or are you gonna build something fast? If i were gonna stay stock, i would, cough cough, go single. but im not, so since i wanted an exhuast, i made it ready. Im on my way to a 331 stroker, so im in a different ball game.

the 50 series suv dual in out has an internal x-over chamber fyi

What I meant by my comment was directed to explorers, the bendin is tricky at best

im gonna chime in. Whats more free flowing with out losing back pressure? a dual muffler set up or single muffler with dual out? Im thinking of reworking the exhuast cuz im always scraping it and my tips are pretty much always screwed when i drive up or off an incline.

Green I got dual chamber 2 flowmasters on my 01 Sport I got the 4.0 SOHC Engine

And my flowmasters are 2.25 I wish I got them bigger like 3.25. But I am happy with the 2.25.

sams01xplrsprt......removed intake silencer? whats that and what does that do for you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The intake silencer is just a small restrictor that is in the airbox under the filter. It helps to lower intake noise when you tromp the throttle, ford doesn't want grandma hearing her Ex breath so they had to quiet it down... ;)

Back