$500 ebay A/C Install

bats

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 Bronco II
So after a few years with out A/C and the hottest summer recorded on Long Island, I decided something had to be done. It's been so hot lately that the little beast barely gets out except for the occasional early morning beach run. I figured an under dash unit would be perfect. My old Buick has a Mark IV unit which still blows ice cubes 40 years later.

Started researching and attempting to piece everything together with individual components. Ultimately decided to go with a $500 ebay ColdMaster kit. Included just about everything you need to do an underdash install. Based on the dimensions of the box I figured I could cram it in there with some minor trimming. Boy was I wrong. Now I figured some fabrication and finagling would be involved for this project, I just wasn't prepared for how much.

The underdash unit was just too big to fit under the dash. There's a support bar in the way and the blower was bigger than I had planned for. So, I took a cue from one of my vans and installed it on the roof. Through-bolted and siliconed the **** out of it. Doesn't look too terrible and fits with the Frankenstein nature of the truck.

IMG_20150828_225624_619.jpg

Net battle was the condenser. Required additional trimming and blood sacrifice. Cut out the vertical cross member in front of the rad and had to relocate my trans cooler. There's really good airflow on the trans cooler since a lost of the metal behind it rusted away. Cleaned that up and sealed with Rustoleum.

IMG_20150816_172349_149.jpg

Lack of foresight on my part when it came to the compressor. I only took it out of the box once just to see how pretty it looked. The kit included a 'Sanden 508 STYLE' from some company based in Panama. Quality seems equivalent though. What I failed to notice is that the compressor mounts with four horizontal bolts. Simple enough, ordered a generic mounting bracket for $40. Also realized that it had a pulley for a VBelt drive instead of serpentine. This could have been remedied by a simple clutch replacement.

However, at the same time my dad's Windstar blew the tranny at just over 200K. We started pilfering it for parts the next day and I grabbed the compressor. Never again am I working on a front wheel drive car. 2 hours to get that damned thing out without being careful at all.

Found that manifold blocks were available for the Ford FS10 compressors. Brilliant!

IMG_20150826_202917_628.jpg

Wiring everything up was probably the easiest part of the job. Got 30' of high pressure HVAC lines made up using the included fittings. This was the second most expensive part of the install with AC hose being ~$6 a foot. Luckily my local hose shop hooked me up and turned them around sameday.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Part II

Routing the hoses wasn't too terrible. I ran them through a factory hole in the floor and along the rockers ad up into the engine bay. Plan on making some basic armor for the hoses since I have a habit of crushing my rockers.

So here we are, moment of truth. Everything wired and connected. First the compressor wouldn't engage when I turned the A/C on. An hour later I found that I never actually connected the hot side of the relay to the battery. Securely connected and put a charge in. I'm sitting in the cabin enjoying the
cold air for the first time in 4 years when all of a sudden my eyes start burning! I failed to fully tighten one of the evap lines and that 40$ can of R134 just leaked out into the cabin.

Recharged with the much cheaper house brand stuff yesterday. Left a pressue gauge on the system overnight and looks like it's holding just fine.

Conclusion and Afterthoughts

You can have it easy or cheap, pick one. For this install, cheap was the goal. Aside from the A/C hoses the only other cost was the kit, bracket and refrigereant. Would have been ridiculously easy had I had room under the dash.

Now you're probably wondering why I didn't just get the stock Ford A/C components from a junkyard. Well, I like the amount of free space in the engine bay with the heat only box. Plus most of my HVAC controls/vac lines melted from dangling too close to the headers.

Additionally, I'm very happy with the quality of the A/C kit I got off ebay. (Just search ColdMaster.) It included all the fittings and hoses needed for an underdash install. You supply the wiring and refrigerant. I plan on buying another kit for my Volvo 145 which actually has enough space for the intended install location.

Was it worth it? Absolutely. A/C is a wonderful thing. Don't care if I lose 'offroad cred' I want to be comfortable while I'm running into rocks.

No working A/C & Record high temps here as well. I completely understand the want to be comfortable, and enjoy your time with the rig.

2 years ago, my pressure line developed a pin hole, and discharged the system. I got the numbers together, and between parts, and charging at a shop is about $500.

Needless to say, I haven't got around to taking care of it yet. :(

Your remedy is thinking out of the box, and pretty original I have to say. Nice job of making the retro fit work for your application. Like any mod, things seem to always be harder or more intricate then planned for. Sticking at it til the end, is true commitment.

The payoff is when you achieve your goal, step back, and say... I did that, yup, I did that. :thumbsup:

Thank you for the kind words.

Could you just trace and replace the line that leaked or is everything permarusted together? I know it's not the most effective way of doing things but those charge it yourself kits are pretty handy and a few cheap cans of freon a season isn't too bad.

Today we hit 90 and the A/C did OK. I only put two small cans in to test. This was just enough to feel a little cooler. One more can and I think I'll be golden.

I need to replace the main pressure hose. I think I should replace the accumulator, orifice tube, and O-rings. Since the system has been open for so long with that pinhole in the line, I'm afraid the black death has creeped in. :(

I want a proper recharge with a vacuum draw down. It all adds up. :banghead:

I felt it today, it was 93* with 80% humidity, & no wind. Wishing I had a set of gills to breath out there. LOL!

Glad to hear it was working for you. Once you have the coolant properly charged, I bet it will kick some butt!

:salute:

Back