5R55 Transmission servo bore re-sleeve, can it be done by removing the valve body? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55 Transmission servo bore re-sleeve, can it be done by removing the valve body?

bcolins

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Park (Austin) Tejas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS 4.0 4x4
I'm a novice when it comes to automatic transmissions. I've read several threads here relating to the 5R55 transmission servo bore issue including the O-ring modification fix.

I was discussing this yesterday at a local shop and a tech not familiar with this particular transmission mentioned that he thought that he had worked at a shop when an Expidition with the same problem came in. He said that they removed the valve body, sent it out for re-sleeving of the servo bores, and re-installed the valve body etc............problem solved.

Can this be done on my 2002 4.0 4x4??

Brian in Austin

The servos are part of the transmission case, not the valve body.

An alternate solution are the machined and o-ringed replacement servos. You could do the install yourself in the driveway if you are somewhat handy.

Www.fordservoboretransmissionfixsolution.com

I have an unused set that I am looking to sell at a lower price than they go for on that site.

It looks like I am the latest victim of the Ford Explorer transmission trouble. I have an 03 with shifting issues and the O/D light is blinking. I would like to be a little more certain about the cause of the shifting problem before I tear it appart. What symptoms am I looking for to help diagnose that the servo bore is my problem?

Back