• Register Today It's free!

5R55E alignment pins/dowels?

35Remmy

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton NY, Hazleton PA, Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'88,'99 Ranger, '00 EX
I remember reading this somewhere in the rebuild diary (I think), but can't find it again...is the alignment tool necessary when re-installing the valve body?

Bill, thanks for the reply. My rebuilt VB came WITH the separator plate already attached, with 3 hex (allen) head bolts...on the ATSG page (110) that lists the bolt sizes and numbers of each required, I see no hex head bolts listed.

I'm wondering if my separator plate is already aligned on the VB...and I just take one bolt out (of the 3) at a time and replace it with the normal bolts, to keep everything aligned.

What do you think?

Bill, thanks for the reply. My rebuilt VB came WITH the separator plate already attached, with 3 hex (allen) head bolts...on the ATSG page (110) that lists the bolt sizes and numbers of each required, I see no hex head bolts listed.

I'm wondering if my separator plate is already aligned on the VB...and I just take one bolt out (of the 3) at a time and replace it with the normal bolts, to keep everything aligned.

What do you think?

On Pg 110 you will see the two alignment pins. They actually fit into two of the bolt holes ("C" and one of the "D" bolt holes). I picked up two SS shanked bolts to attach the VB to the tranny at these holes. The shanked bolts fit tight on the .235 alignment hole and a little loose on the .248 alignment hole. I just made sure the loose hole was centered. I then put in the other bolts and hand snugged them, then I removed the two SS shanked bolts and put the correct ones in and then torque al the bolts in sequence. Make sure you go around 3-4 x's to the high end of the torque spec.

Good Luck!

Back