5R55E - Decisions...decisions - How many $$/mile ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E - Decisions...decisions - How many $$/mile ?

ozydeco

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT, 94 Sport
'97 Explorer 2WD
130K mi

Symptoms: 'typical 5R55E gasket symptoms' as I research this forum: dropping OD, then no 3rd, intermittent shifting of all gears for a few days my Daughter reports, but 'when it catches - it works fine'

Expectation: I was hoping to find a crack/hole in the VB gaskets, and replace them.

So I pulled the trans pan and the mounting bolts for the Valve Body have all lost torque, finger tight, but no evidence of a torn gasket. Worse, there is no Reverse Servo Cover Gasket - meaning, that along with some fishy looking bolts in the Cat-Conv. exhaust manifold flange lead me to believe someone else has been in this transmission. Fluid in the pan is darkish, no shards or chunks of any kind, no burnt smell, fluid dripping from the valve body is red.

What to do ? Typical '97, nice outside but my Daughter has 2 large dogs, interior/seats are a mess, but the engine runs ok, typical clanking timing chains etc. but starts and runs reliably still. This truck running properly would bring a whopping $1000 on a good day - I'd like to get her another 5k miles if possible - read, a little time for her to save more money for a new vehicle.

I'm not sure where to draw the l$$$ line, or even what's my best options are ?

I've rebuilt engines/appliances/computers etc. for decades, but my experience with transmissions is strictly 'book learning'. I usually do things right, but how much cost is worth investing here - and what parts are worth trying ? I've seen rebuild kits for $400...wow...

I was thinking the VB gaskets may be leaking and worth a try for $20, meaning add 8 qts of fluid ($40) = $60 I can't see buying an EPC for $100, probably look into the test procedure first though, and if it tests bad - I'll buy one.

Can the pan gasket be reused ?
Kerosene the filter ?

How much would you spend on transmission parts for this vehicle, with this goal of just getting another 5k miles....in any forward gear ?

Any advice/wisdom for me on this issue ? Feel free to tell me I'm an ignorant hammerhead for not pulling it and trying the full rebuild, I'm considering it as a personal challenge. Based on what I've read, one needs a few high dollar tools to do this right, drill/replace bushing - etc.

Also, if anyone has an experience with a junkyard tranny - Please share...

Thanks,
David

I feel what you are going through. I deal with customers faced with this dilemma daily. it is a call you are going to have to make. I ask if there is other problems with vehicle,what major repairs have been done or big expense items bought. Tires,ac repairs, cooling system repairs. If they have spent a significant amount of money already they may cut their losses others will opt for the repair and roll the dice. I have had mixed results with used transmissions some work, some not at all and some work for a few weeks.
Just remember that the labor is a constant price on R&R plus fluid and line flush. So take that into consideration. You may get a warranty with used but they wont cover labor. In this area a rebuild runs 1900-2100 2yr unlimited milage. Used can run from 300-600 plus install runs 400-600 depending on shop and what is included.I tell people if i could work a crystal ball i would not be getting greasy. LOL! I wish I could tell you how to get more than 5000 miles out of the transmission without spending any money. unfortunately that is something I can not. Best of luck and if you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Have a great holiday season!
Brad

Thank You for taking your time to respond. Actually, I am in the middle of doing this myself - trying to determine the bare minimum of parts to replace along with the VB gaskets.

When I do a job like rebuilding an engine, I always do it properly because it's a worthwhile repair to make, and I want it to last a long time. In contrast, this repair, I know is as close to 'throwing away cash' as it gets....

I'm thinking for $80 I'll try the VB gaskets and fluid, and maybe try cleaning the VB, filter and reusing the pan gasket - and see what happens. If it moves, maybe adjust the bands.

Any other advice would be appreciated...

Back