• Register Today It's free!

5r55e flashing o/d?

pintopaul

Reaction score
City, State
schroon lake new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt awd
will a rusted filler tube cause a o/d light to flash? i did a tranny flush and filter change when i went to fill it with fluid the fluid ran out of the tube. it was low on fluid and its been a while since it had the tranny serviced. any help would be great Thanks paul

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DId the OD light start flashing before or after you did the flush?

Transmission Guru

BrooklynBay helped me with mine and as far as I've seen he's generally right on the money. Get the codes checked, a transmission shop might be your best bet, that's what I had to do. Hopefully all it is, is what happened to me, a couple of solenoids. Now to no fault of BrooklynBay's about a week or two later the reverse band broke on my transmission.

Just so you know even with as much care and attention I've given my X the 5r55e transmissions are known to have some pretty horrid problems. Good luck to you and hopefully you don't end up in the same boat as I did. Cost about $2000 to get mine fixed. Unless you've got the time and patience to rebuild your transmission. I didn't have the tools or the time to not have my truck, nor a place to disassemble a transmission, so I left it to the pros.

The solenoids are pretty easy, just know you won't be able to get the trans pan off without removing the driveshaft or cat converter. But you'll be fine to get to the solenoids without doing that. Good luck. :salute:

ok the light came on while we were driving , so i knew i had a problem . i borrowed a obd ii scan tool and no codes came up . So i figured i would check the fluid there was rust particals in the tranny fluid and it was low so i figured i would do a tranny service (thanks for the advice on removing the drive shaft wish i would have known before i started i fight with the pan for about an hour ) i finally decided to remove the shaft much easier. when i went to fill the tranny i poored a qt of fluid in and it went on the ground ,the filler tube had rotted out have one on order (would this have caused the light to flash because 1 it was low and 2 it couldnt build pressure?) cant wait till tomorrow when the tube comes in. thanks Paul

Well its been a while since i replaced the tranny filler tube a fter the flush because it was rotted out . no more o/d light flashing and seems to be shifting good. Thanks for all the help. Paul

Back