• Register Today It's free!

5r55e Fluid Level after VB Swap??

Karpiel73

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Explorer Sport
I'll keep this brief. I did a VB swap recently and added 5qts of tranny fluid, then kept adding fluid in 1/2qt increments until the level appeared good (all while at operating temp). In total I added 7qts. It began banging into 2nd while downshifting.

So I checked the fluid level after the Explorer sat for 24 hrs (per the owners manual) and it was WAY overfull! I removed 2qts and the level was barely overfull when cold. The harsh downshifts stopped.

Then I drove it 40 miles and checked it at 150*, the dipstick had ZERO fluid on it at operating temp!

Then I let it sit overnight and checked it when cold, IT WAS OVERFULL!!

So what the hell gives?!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

All the mercon is draining back from the trans cooler up by the rad

Is it a 2Wd or 4wd

All the mercon is draining back from the trans cooler up by the rad

Is it a 2Wd or 4wd

4wd. It does have the auxiliary trans cooler too.

It baffles me because it was dry at operating temp.

Air in the lines?

At operating temp the cooler is full when you shut it down the fluid drains down making it look to full try shutting it down for ten minutes then check fluid it should be too much then start it up the fluid will fill the trans cooler then you will see how much you really have sorry I would of gotten back to you earlier not feeling well today

There is a thermal cooler bypass valve. Until the transmission is at operating temperature it just recirculates the fluid in the pan. Once at temp it opens and adds the cooler in. It may be sticking or installed incorrect. I have been disabling this feature for years with no problem just got that reason. I’m not saying it is right or wrong it’s just what has been working for me.
Brad

At operating temp the cooler is full when you shut it down the fluid drains down making it look to full try shutting it down for ten minutes then check fluid it should be too much then start it up the fluid will fill the trans cooler then you will see how much you really have sorry I would of gotten back to you earlier not feeling well today

Thanks for the replies, thankfully I have another vehicle to drive while I figured this out.

There is a thermal cooler bypass valve. Until the transmission is at operating temperature it just recirculates the fluid in the pan. Once at temp it opens and adds the cooler in. It may be sticking or installed incorrect. I have been disabling this feature for years with no problem just got that reason. I’m not saying it is right or wrong it’s just what has been working for me.
Brad

At night with a flashlight is the only time I'm able to read the dipstick accurately, as funny as that sounds. But I finally found the correct level.

Brad

How much lower are the trans temps after this? Are there any ill affects? The entire reason I did a vb swap was for the thermal bypass valve that comes in a superior shift kit. I still have high temps after installing it.

It’s not a fix for overheating it makes it slightly more efficient but make topping it of with fluid a lot easier and takes away the possibility of it sticking closed and not going to the cooler at all.

20190715_221521.jpg

So this entire assembly is removed? Does the keeper under the separator plate stay in?
I appreciate the responses too!

Back