5r55e high line pressure in reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55e high line pressure in reverse

swra311

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Forest ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 explorer
The trans was rebuilt 10000 miles ago. Recently I was driving on the freeway and it downshifted out of overdrive. Reverse is slow to engage and slips. Forward gears shift solid, just will not go into od. I just replaced filter, seperator plate with bonded gaskets, epc and tcc solenoids. I installed a transgo shift kit adjusted bands and everything checks out. Explorer has 150000 miles. What is my next step?

Today I did a pressure test.

At idle....park 75, reverse 110 to 140, drive 100, 2nd 100, 1st 100.

At wot.... 1st 300, 2nd 300, drive 310, and reverse 400 and climbing fast to max pressure of gauge of 600 psi.

Driving pressure hovered around 150 while on the gas and off the gas coasting pressure was about 75 psi.

What would cause such great pressure in reverse?

Did you install the transgo pressure regulator valve? If you installed a newer bonded pressure plate it has no hole for the original pressure regulator.

i installed what came with the transgo kit. The seperator plate had the bonded gaskets, but i still had to install the rivet. The plates seemed to be identical minus the gaskets.

Back