• Register Today It's free!

5R55E issues

oldbikedude

Reaction score
City, State
south eastern Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
Hello all & thank you for this awesome forum. My 2000 sport 4L OHV with 190,000 miles started doing the shifting flare thing. I have read much of the 5R55E diary. A couple of times the O/D light started flashing. I would just pull over, shut it off, & restart going on my way. (with the O/D light off again). Then a couple of times while sitting at a red light, my trans would slip when I tried to pull out. I would put it in low, pull out then pull over & shut it off. After restarting it would pull out ok. The last time it did this it I tried to start it back up & it started for a second then shut down. It wouldn't start after that, it would only crank over. I disconnected the battery for a half hour then after reattaching it, it started. I had no check engine light through all this. I haven't driven it since. From what I've read so far I think I need to replace the VB separator plate (with the new Ford unit) & the EPC solenoid. I am not looking to do the shift kit thing, only looking to fix this as inexpensively as possible. I do not have access to a code reader nor do I want to chance driving it any more. Do my Explorer's symptoms sound right to you guys? Am I on track? I have read a lot on here but I haven't been through all the 5R55E diary thread, for some reason my comp. slows down & comes to a screeching halt after a while on this forum. Who's filter & pan gasket is preferred? Thanks for any input you guys might have.

It sounds like you have some engine problems as well as trans problems. With that many miles on the trans, it's rebuilt time. You might get lucky and replace the valve body. You need to get the trans code read but disconnecting the battery resets the computer and the code is gone until the OD light flashes again.

It sounds like you have some engine problems as well as trans problems. With that many miles on the trans, it's rebuilt time
Hmmm, do you work for a dealer or trans shop? That's the kind of "help" I would expect there. Thanks for the quick reply.

Back