5R55E lost first and drive | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E lost first and drive

BonesDT,

They still have my truck because the gasket they need is on backorder. It sounds like the same problem people are having not being able to downshift into low except mine is all the way out. If that is all it is it shouldn't be to bad. Mine is still under warranty anyway. The bad news is they don't expect to get the parts untill March the 15th. They have another Explorer in the shop with the same problem as mine,sounds like this is a common problem. I'll let you know how much it costs whenever I get my truck back. Did you ever try shifting to Drive after you get rolling?

Ricky

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow I must be lucky with my 5R. 87K miles of constant abuse and no fluid changes :eek: Don't know how it still shifts like butter.

hey ricky, any word yet?

BonesDT,

They just got the gasket in on the 17th. They put the new gasket on and it did fix the problem with it not going in low gear. They said that it was slipping in 2nd gear though so they are checking that out.

what gasket was it?

It's a valve body gasket I believe. Your Ford dealer should know about it because they were on back order due to unexpected demand. Two other Explorers were waiting on them at the same time mine was in. I found out now that mine also needs the 1st-2nd gear clutch pack because it was slipping in 2nd gear after they replaced the gasket and test drove it. That part should be in any day and then I should have the truck back. At least that part wasn't on backorder. If all you would need is the gasket then it shouldn't be to bad but you don't know what else could be wrong. They did say driving it around in 2nd gear was not good for it and could have caused the clutch pack to go out. I really only drove mine like that for one day and the next day drove it to the dealer to leave it. Have you been driving yours around like this all this time?

hey, any updates? ive probably put on over 1000 miles driving it in second and then shifting to drive.

I have the truck back, if it wasn't under warranty it would have cost around $950.00.

Back