Solved - 5r55e lower dipstick leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 5r55e lower dipstick leak

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Lee's Automotive

Git-R-Done
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC
Anyone know how this seals in a 5r55e transmission? it's leaking pretty good on mine
s-l1600.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look like a typical dipstick tube with seal. It should insert into tranny hole seal end side in. Push into place. And secure tube bolt.
There is no seal its just metal

I installed mine dry ....a new unit ....
Clean the hole in the trans with break clean on a clean rag
DO NOT SPRAY ANYTHING IN THE TRANSMISSION

I installed mine dry ....a new unit ....
Clean the hole in the trans with break clean on a clean rag
DO NOT SPRAY ANYTHING IN THE TRANSMISSION
Install my with a rubber o-ring

Screenshot_20211115-165307.png

The upper dipstick has 2orings

I can wiggle this lower stick up and down left and right I tried rtv and it didn't work is there something I can do to stop this leak?

sure its inserted all the way? if so, which rtv did you use? not sure it makes a diff, but i used the blu rtv for oil, and needless to say, i needed yo redo that later on. maybe you could weld it? as in widen the end and weld together like exhaust? thinking outside the box here

sure its inserted all the way? if so, which rtv did you use? not sure it makes a diff, but i used the blu rtv for oil, and needless to say, i needed yo redo that later on. maybe you could weld it? as in widen the end and weld together like exhaust? thinking outside the box here
Basically I don't want to drain this trans again I used the 90 minute Grey and it just keeps leaking

huh alright.... i suppose welding could work, shouldnt come loose after that! not sure htough, perhaps someone has a better idea!

huh alright.... i suppose welding could work, shouldnt come loose after that! not sure htough, perhaps someone has a better idea!
Wonder if this would work?

If anyone else has this issue the part number is 6L5Z 7A160-A it was a pain in the rear to find it, but it's pressed in with Teflon

Back