5r55e od servo cap removal pls help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55e od servo cap removal pls help

2000MAUIEX

Reaction score
City, State
Maui Hi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer
This is my first post after reading for hours and hours. The wealth of information here is truly amazing.

I am in the middle of trying to replace my OD servo with the AJ1E modified servo. 2000 explorer 2wd ohv. Bottom heat shield off and exhaust in place. I am working on a gravel driveway with the vehicle raised about 3 inches. I was able to get the snap ring off but now I can not figure out how to get the cap off. I am soaking with liquid wrench. I can apply pressure to the cap and it will move in very slightly but t does not want to pop out. I am looking for any ideas. Can I start the vehicle and use the hydraulic pressure to force it out? I understand this would be a mess. I am at a loss at this point and would appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could loosen the band adjuster and run it in till it pushes the cover out. But be sure to back it off before trying to install new servo. After installed adjust band.

Almost 10 turns in, cap moving out and bang now the adjuster is spinning free. I assume I broke the band. Cheap project, lessons learned. OD servo cap still on but is about 50% out compared to where it was. Any chance I jumped off the contact area between the adjuster and the band or can I assume its toast and time to pull the trans. Another day in paradise.

The band may have been starting to break. Not any fun. Was worth a try I suppose. Good luck man.

No worries, it was a good idea. I was too lazy to pull the exhaust and get a better shot at the cap. Life is good !

Back