5r55e post rebuild bell housing whine? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55e post rebuild bell housing whine?

Halfjackedx31

Reaction score
City, State
Mooresville NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 was a xlt
So I have a 5r55e that I rebuilt myself, because of sprag failure. I went through everything cleaned or replaced it valvebody, cooler lines, cooler, tc etc. So post rebuild I have a whining sound coming from the bell housing area only in park and neutral. When placed in gear no whining. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the help Adam

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you pull it back out I would inspect the front half of the transmission, it could be something in the overdrive section, or it could be just a bad converter or a misaligned pump.

Its a transtar reman converter so i would say misaligned pump, but if pump is misaligned what does that mean? Other then the obvious.

This once happened to me. I had a defective torque converter. It made the noise when it was cold but toned down as it warmed up. The sound never went away completely. I returned the torque converter, and the salesman claimed that the hub had some scrape marks. I used an alignment tool on the pump so I don't know how that's possible. I think that you should remove the torque converter, and inspect everything before you do further damage to the transmission. You wouldn't want to clog the valve body with metal from the hub or break the pump gears.

Thats what I find crazy about my problem is that once put in gear the whining stops. It is only in park and neutral. One would think that if in those two positions the pump is the only thing moving, why would it stop in gear cold or hot?

Think of the torque converter in the same way as a clutch. A clutch will engage the engine to the transmission only when you are in gear, then disengage when you want to change gears. You wouldn't apply a clutch while cranking an engine since the car will move as the starter turns. So the same is true with a torque converter. You wouldn't want to engage the engine with the transmission while you are in park or neutral.

Think of the torque converter in the same way as a clutch. A clutch will engage the engine to the transmission only when you are in gear, then disengage when you want to change gears. You wouldn't apply a clutch while cranking an engine since the car will move as the starter turns. So the same is true with a torque converter. You wouldn't want to engage the engine with the transmission while you are in park or neutral.
That is crazy as far as going through a company as transtar....

Thats what I find crazy about my problem is that once put in gear the whining stops. It is only in park and neutral. One would think that if in those two positions the pump is the only thing moving, why would it stop in gear cold or hot?

True, in gear the only thing turning in the transmission is the pump gears while sitting still. Thats what lead me to mention the overdrive section in the transmission, in park and neutral the converter will drive the input shaft, so that means the input shaft will turn the OD planet that drives the input hub that drives the forward drum, so any of that is suspect. Remove the pan and inspect for metal debris.

A bad converter will typically make more noise in gear because the inside of the converter is turning faster around a still input shaft, but if you dont find the problem in the transmission or pump I would have Transtar warranty the converter just to be safe.

A misaligned pump will typically make noise immediately after rebuild and will be constant, but I thought I would mention it because it's known to make noise.

Check the crankshaft spacer behind the flywheel, this can let the converter get out of alignment.

True, in gear the only thing turning in the transmission is the pump gears while sitting still. Thats what lead me to mention the overdrive section in the transmission, in park and neutral the converter will drive the input shaft, so that means the input shaft will turn the OD planet that drives the input hub that drives the forward drum, so any of that is suspect. Remove the pan and inspect for metal debris.

A bad converter will typically make more noise in gear because the inside of the converter is turning faster around a still input shaft, but if you dont find the problem in the transmission or pump I would have Transtar warranty the converter just to be safe.

A misaligned pump will typically make noise immediately after rebuild and will be constant, but I thought I would mention it because it's known to make noise.

Check the crankshaft spacer behind the flywheel, this can let the converter get out of alignment.
What bout to much band torque? Or not enough?

No I don't see that causing any issues with noises.

I would think pump is not aligned exactly.

If the pump is not exactly alinged what issues with that cause? Besides the noise.

I don't think that it will last 2K miles if it's out of alignment. Keep in mind that metal scratching against metal will create metallic dust which could clog the valve body, and the internal filter.

Back