5R55E Problem

jonyjay2

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 sport
Hi Everyone,

My wife has a '99 explorer sport 4.0L SOHC, 5R55E 5 speed A/T with 92,000 miles. For the past 6 months it has an intermitant erratic shift. At times it feels like the trans goes from 1st to 5th gear without winding out through the gears, and feels sluggish, like it is in a wrong (higher) gear. At very rare occations, it will engage twice in reverse when shifing in reverse, (done this once). The problem accurs when operating temprature is hot or cold, but mostly when it's been driven for a while. When this happens, the O/D light flashes, no "check engine" light, but no EEC-V trouble codes was set on the Snap-On scanner. The other day, the trans was shifting erratic, the "check engine" light came on for the first time and the O/D light flashed. This time trouble code P0733 (3rd gear ratio error) was set on the Snap-On scanner. I checked all the connections on the trans and the EEC-V prossesor, all connections and terminals are tight and free of dirt and corrosion. The trans fluid is red and not burnt or smells burnt, and filled to proper level.
About 60,000 miles, the trans had problems going into kick down (pasing gear). The ford dealer replaced the valve body under warranty.
My question,
What could be causing this?
EEC-V prossesor, solenoids, valve body?
I am leaning toward the prossesor because it never set any trouble codes untill 3 days ago.
I am familiar with automatic transmission repair/rebuilds.

Thanks in advance for any help & suggetions.

I'm going with Valve body/separator plate. That seems to be the major bugaboo on the 5R's.... you can buy a reman unit for about $200.... and with gaskets etc, you will be out $210. If you are wrong you will already be a step ahead with a reman VB unit.
I don't rebuild 5R VB's, but there are places online, here is one:

http://www.phoenixhardparts.com/browseproducts/5R55E-Standard-VB.HTML

also, before you suspect the computer, consider GIGO ... garbage in, garbage out.... eliminate ALL inputs as suspects... VSS is one of the top culprits.... but usually will thro other codes. I am sure smarter guys than I can chime in here.

Chris, I'd think that just doing the TransGo kit would eliminate the factory symptoms.

The kit is best left to people who have done them before. I'd also plan to change the $110 solenoid(EPC?) on the valve body, and the boost valve. TransGo recommended those changes along with the kit. I had about the same $210 in servicing my 99, including fluid. Unless the mileage is very very high, or a major failure has happened, the valve body is usually better to keep. Good luck,

As usual Don, we are on the same page.

Back