• Register Today It's free!

5R55E Rebuild approach - advice ?

ozydeco

Reaction score
City, State
NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT, 94 Sport
5R55E in a '97 Exp with 140k mi. - trans major fail lost all gears. Found blown out VB gasket, fluid wasn't burned and no metal in the pan. Cleaned VB and replaced gaskets/filter/fluid, and now it has very reliable/predictable symptoms.

Shifting into D, you can feel it does engage 1st - but little power, same with R.

Switch 'OD Off' and start out in (Manual 2) then shift into 'D' at 25 MPH and it reliably runs and drives - I've put over 500 miles on it like this.

I'm hoping to get advice about what hard parts are most likely to have failed, also your perspective on - just replacing those parts that failed - in order to maybe get a few more months service from this vehicle...it's kind of beat. My labor is free here - I'm trying to give my Daughter a chance to save up for another vehicle.

I know this is opposite to the proper/recommended approach of open it up and do full rebuild ($300 - $400 worth) and hope I didn't foul-up something else in the process, but this vehicle aint' worth it. I'm wanting to try to surgically replace the parts that have catastrophically failed, and not disturb anything else in the process. Minimal time, minimal cost, minimal risk.

I feel most experts on here will not want to comment since I'm not going all-out for a full rebuild - if you think my approach is foolish, Please let me know that too. I've been studying this trans issue daily for quite a while, I would greatly appreciate your expertise.

Back