5r55e rebuild P0733, P0735 and no 4x4 low light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55e rebuild P0733, P0735 and no 4x4 low light

EricB123

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mazda B4000
I recently rebuilt a 5r55e that was pretty burnt out. I change a few of the hard parts and all of the soft parts. It has a hard shift between 1 & 2 and that usually generates an O/D OFF blinking. If I back off the accelerator it shifts nicely, otherwise it struggles to shift 1-2. The other gears seem very smooth and I don't even feel them shifting.

In addition the 4x4 low light no longer comes on. (4x4 high works and I've checked that it's engaged.)

When I did the rebuild I did not do much to the VB. Someone had already put in the shift kit, so I changed a lot of the soft parts out and the EPC (because people recommended it). A shop mechanic mentioned to me that you usually have to hone the valve cylinders slightly and I did notice that when I put the VB back together that they were a bit sticky. However at the time, I didn't know if that was just tolerances or wear, so I didn't know to investigate it further.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these two problems and the best approach? Thanks!

Is there any more detail I could provide that might help generate some suggestions?

Is there any more detail I could provide that might help generate some suggestions?
@EricB123
Does the 4X4 LOW light illuminate for "prove-out" when you turn the key to ON? imp

Back