5r55e rebuild | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55e rebuild

Tony2120

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 ford explorer sport
I have a 1998 explorer sport 4x4 that I just finished pulling the transmission on. And have no idea what trans rebuild kit to get! Any suggestions? The reason for the rebuild is broken reverse band. I found a kit on eBay for 157 from
Transdeals4u. Is it a good kit? If not can you point me in the right direction for one thanks!
https://www.google.com/search?q=5r5...6064&prds=num:1,of:1,epd:14714020572937896064

Also should I go transgo or superior vb kit?
I plan on a new torque converter as well.

I have an atsg 5r55e manual to help guide me threw the rebuild woohoo!! do I need any Special tools or can I get by without? Few videos I watched on YouTube seemed like I didn't need any? Thanks for the help! Any other tips or help apriciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1998 explorer sport 4x4 that I just finished pulling the transmission on. And have no idea what trans rebuild kit to get! Any suggestions? The reason for the rebuild is broken reverse band. I found a kit on eBay for 157 from
Transdeals4u. Is it a good kit? If not can you point me in the right direction for one thanks!
https://www.google.com/search?q=5r5...6064&prds=num:1,of:1,epd:14714020572937896064

Also should I go transgo or superior vb kit?
I plan on a new torque converter as well.

I have an atsg 5r55e manual to help guide me threw the rebuild woohoo!! do I need any Special tools or can I get by without? Few videos I watched on YouTube seemed like I didn't need any? Thanks for the help! Any other tips or help apriciated!

If you have never disassembled an auto trans before, you are in for a few surprises, IMO. OTOH, if you are accomplished mechanically, it might be quite an achievement. Special tools often needed are designed to compress clutch springs to enable insertion of snap rings, gauges to measure end play, that being one critical factor in any automatic. The reason is all those parts stacked together on several separate shafts must "cooperate" with each other. IOW, everything must be in it's exact place. imp

You'll need some picks,micrometers, torque wrench set, and pump alignment tool, to name a few I modified engine stand to be used as a tranny stand is nice but not completely necessary, it is pretty involved but not hard just follow the book to the letter. It will be time consuming some tips are, replace servos as some kits don't come with them, get a new turbine speed sensor (motorcraft) not completely necessary but hey this is something you only have to do once, be EXTREMELY clean!!!!!, soak clutches in atf prior to installing, replace anything that shows excessive wear, nothing but good things about the transgo kits in would recommend it, I have one installed and it's nice, go with the level 3 (firmest setting)shift firmness (it'll explain it in the kit)as it feels nice but not too hard and it's better for your tranny. Get at least a new epc solenoid from a reputable source don't waste your time on eBay for transmission parts, try cobra transmission,rock Auto, or transmission Depot etc...don't buy cheap!!!!,eBay has too much generic junk,or complete scams trust me I learned the hard way.check out the frankentranny thread as there is some mods/updates you can do that the book won't tell you.i also recommend a new wiring harness and don't try replacing the bell housing bushing if it's worn get a new Bell housing and check out sonnax would recommend there updates especially the billet crank spacer. Also you might as well update your flexplate too.

Thanks for the input! I actually found a 2001 limited with a rebuilt transmission in June. So i think im going to change gears and do a motor swap from the 98 sport to the 2001 because I already own a perfectly good 99 sport why not fix the 4door with all the bells and whistles lol. But I'll keep the transmission and still attempt a rebuild later so I have one ready!

It's the bushing in the bell housing located behind the seal that the torque converter hub rides in it's part of the bell housing and not the case. It's a finish in place machining required bushing to achieve proper center. A new Bell housing or a good used one isn't that expensive and would go that route instead of finding a machine shop that could actually properly install it plus the new and certified used housings come with a new seal already installed.

It's the bushing in the bell housing located behind the seal that the torque converter hub rides in it's part of the bell housing and not the case. It's a finish in place machining required bushing to achieve proper center. A new Bell housing or a good used one isn't that expensive and would go that route instead of finding a machine shop that could actually properly install it plus the new and certified used housings come with a new seal already installed.
I think I get it, but was seeing the converter hub supported by, and rotating within, a bushing contained in the pump, thus not supported directly by the bell. This may date back to my very early experience, and the general design may have changed. imp

Back