5R55E slipping out of first gear when warm | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Salty Dalt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
I have a 5R55E transmission that has been slipping out of first gear, almost into neutral it seems, and I have to remove my foot from the gas, and let it clunk back into gear, then it's fine. It only will do this when the transmission fluid is warm, only once, then drive with no symptoms. Or if i park somewhere for an hour, then drive again, it will do it. Making me think the solenoid(s) might be acting up with the temperature. Any help would be much appreciated.

I have a 5R55E transmission that has been slipping out of first gear, almost into neutral it seems, and I have to remove my foot from the gas, and let it clunk back into gear, then it's fine. It only will do this when the transmission fluid is warm, only once, then drive with no symptoms. Or if i park somewhere for an hour, then drive again, it will do it. Making me think the solenoid(s) might be acting up with the temperature. Any help would be much appreciated.
Anybody have any help?

Start by getting a scanner and check for codes. ALso, make sure you are full of ATF fluid.

Start by getting a scanner and check for codes. ALso, make sure you are full of ATF fluid.
I had brought it in to have it looked at by Ford, they confirmed the fluid level and condition is correct. I will check for any codes, my battery completely died recently, so it might not have any yet. Will update when I know.

Back