Solved - 5R55E TC causing problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 5R55E TC causing problems

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

01STrunner

Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Greer, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 SAS'd Sport Trac
Well I got the flashing OD Off flashing light of death last week. Pulled codes with my code reader and it said it was the torque converter or TC solenoid (can't remember the code #). I did a trans flush on Saturday and made a world of difference in the shifts. It was shifting smooth and quick, a lot better than before I even had problems. Then I got out of the town limits and noticed the TC wouldn't lock up and the light started blinking again. Needless to say I was screaming down the road only doing 50mph.

This is the 2nd time I've had a trans problem in the truck. The first was about 5 years ago when I had a shift flare from 2-3. I was able to get a whole reman trans from Jasper. About 45k miles later and this one is calling it quits.

I don't have the money to get another transmission and would rather try to fix this myself anyway if for nothing else than to gain a little more knowledge about auto transmissions.

I found a torque converter on RockAuto for less than $150 but haven't looked into the price of a solenoid. Has anyone ever worked on these 5R55e transmissions? How hard is it to replace the TC? What things do I need to be careful of when opening it up? Whats a good price for a shop to fix this?

Sorry for the long post but thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Need better info on the code. PCM can determine if solenoid is at fault, usually, but it does that by comparing eng. speed to converter output shaft (trans. input shaft) speed, which tells it if the TC clutch is engaging when it tells it to.

However, determining if TC clutch itself is at fault is more difficult. So, if the code definitely relates to the TC solenoid, you can avoid yanking the trans. out, simply replace the solenoid. imp

Ok so I didn't quite remember the code correctly. I just went out and pulled codes again and took a picture of what came up (P0741). Looks like it might just be a solenoid issue.

24AE4949-BF31-4EA2-919C-1E9C6B10BA98_zpsiyrhh1bd.jpg

Its rarely the solenoid, it most likely will be the converter. Thats what I see at the shop. That shouldn't stop you from trying the solenoid first it still could be, just saying.

Its rarely the solenoid, it most likely will be the converter. Thats what I see at the shop. That shouldn't stop you from trying the solenoid first it still could be, just saying.

What all is involved with swapping the TC? It's right at the bell housing right? I'm thinking if I disconnect everything and slide the trans back I can get to it without having to cut my crossmember out. When I redesigned it after the SAS I welded it to my frame. Dumb idea but who knew a new transmission would crap out in 40k?

You will have to remove the tranny, you will also need to make sure the converter is fully seated into the pump before bolting it back to the engine. While it is out make sure to check the sealing ring on the end of the pump stator, if it is damaged it can cause lock up problems.

Converter failure like this can happen at any time, the transmission is probably ok. I built one of these a few weeks ago and the converter lost lock up a week later, swapped the converter out and all is well. Nothing you can do about it. I know thats got to be tough that the cross member is welded in.

Here's to hoping that the solenoid is the problem. Thanks for your advice, it's very helpful to hear it from someone that's done this before.

You have certainly a lot more experience than I do. But still, in my own case, same code thrown, I bought a brand new module on E-bay after dropping the pan and finding little bronze chunks, dropped valve body, top of it had a little pile of them, cleaned everything off, installed new solenoid module and an in-line filter in the cooler line.

Everything fine since, been over 40K now. Other than that issue, the 5R55S has been a pretty good trans for me. I understand, though, that this thread is about an earlier transmission. imp

I agree, the 5R55S/W - N transmission line has many issues with their solenoid blocks, sometimes the new ones won't work right out of the box!

I cant remember the last time I needed a TCC solenoid for the 5R55E, but they do fail, so I think the OP should try that first in his case, pulling the tranny can be a pain especially with a welded crossmember:eek:

Turns out it was the TCC solenoid. I replaced it this morning and the truck has been shifting normally since. Thanks to everyone who chimed in for the advise.

Back