• Register Today It's free!

5r55e trans - 2wd to 4wd

jchopo01

Reaction score
City, State
Luther, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer Sport
I searched and did not see anything on this. I need a transmission and I found a 5r55e that is two wheel drive. I have the old transmission and am wondering if I can just change to the tail shaft and use it. I wouldnt see why not but just need some verification. Thanks, Jason

I searched and did not see anything on this. I need a transmission and I found a 5r55e that is two wheel drive. I have the old transmission and am wondering if I can just change to the tail shaft and use it. I wouldnt see why not but just need some verification. Thanks, Jason

yeah, if you want a complete rebuild

you have to start at the bellhousing and work your way in, all just to remove the tailshaft

I guess I have not looked too hard, but can you not just unbolt the tail housing and switch it? Or do you have to change the output shaft?

I'm doing two tranny projects as of now and one of them is converting 2wd to 4x4. You have to dig in to the last and very deep to unlock that c clip for the tail shaft to drop out. Believe me, I went through it and that's the only way to get it out.:(

Back