• Register Today It's free!

5r55e Trans swap PROBLEM

Mike120

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4
Im having some trouble with my 5r55e swap, ive pulled the old trans and swapped in the new one already but something is wrong. Now when i start it, it will only start in neutral and wont shift into gear at all. Ive checked the trans wiring harness thoroughly(i pulled it out, checked wires visually and with a voltmeter and retaped it up). One thing ive noticed is when i put it in drive the rpms change as you would expect but still wont move anywhere, also strange is that when in drive, when i press on the gas the rpms stay high for several seconds even after i let off the gas.

I also pulled several codes with a scanner:
p0743 p0750 p0760 p0765 and also po174(i think the last code has to do with the fact that i had to cut off a cat to get the trans out and currently the patch i put on it isnt great) Also i tried erasing the codes when i reinstalled the harnes but still no joy :(

Heres the specifics:
-99 ford explorer 4.0 SOHC
-The replacement trans is from a salvage yard(i bought it through pickapart.com)
-The new trans is supposed to be from the exact year and model ex but i cant be 100% sure bc my trans sticker has worn off but both look exactly the same, no extra plugs or anything at least.

Please keep in my this the most difficult thing ive ever attempted with a car and while i am mechanically inclined i am only 19 and i may need you to spell things out to me lol :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Couple of basic questions for you.
Is this the same model trans as your original?
Did you swap out the torque converter or are you using your original? If swapped, did you fill it? Did you fill the trans while I am asking?
Did you get the warranty on the "new" trans?\
Hopefully someone will be along who knows a bit more about these.
Russ

Check the linkage and the park neutral safety switch.
Did you check the fluid level?

Yes i believe it is the same model trans, i am using the tc that came with the trans and i did fill it prior to install. Also the linkage and fluid levels are good, but how would i go about checking the neutral safety switch? I know where it is but dont i need a scan tool for that?

Also a FYI, when i said i checked the trans harness i was talking about the external one not the internal one. Also after doing some reading, all the trans codes coming up show every single solenoid from a to d experiencing a malfunction, except one which is the "tc clutch circuit electrical". Now i seriously doubt i have a trans with every solenoid failed so what else could cause those solenoids not to work? Could a bad nss be the cause of all that or something more involved?

I did check the external harness already and i will try to check the internal harness tommorow. Now i have found something else that is confusing me, my old trans neutral safety switch has 12 pins while the new one has only 11. Would that cause problems, or is it just an unused pin anyways?

Thats a bit of a problem for me, you see the other day i thought the nss might be the issue so i tried to swap it just to see if it would make a difference but i messed up and broke the damn thing on my old trans. I put it neutral, then removed the shift lever and then the two smaller bolts but thing was stuck on for some reason and broke apart :( But anyways i dont mind buying a replacement but i just wanna be sure its neccessary. So do you think the switch could be the whole problem?

Ok thx for the quick response Brooklyn. Ill go ahead and get a new switch, hopefully it'll work:). Also Do you know if its common for these switches to get stuck on, making them hard to remove? I just want to avoid screwing up the switch on the good trans for no reason.

Back